Thompson's big night sends Comets to victoryAug 15, 2007 - 2:31 AM By Lin Wartenberg PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer
AUBURN HILLS, Michigan (Ticker) - Tina Thompson scored 10 of her 25 points in the first quarter to lead the Houston Comets to an 81-73 victory over the Detroit Shock on Tuesday.
Thompson hit two 3-pointers and 4-of-6 shots in the first quarter to pace Houston to a 22-12 lead with 2:09 remaining in the first. She finished 8-for-18 from the floor for the Comets, who led, 47-41, at halftime.
Michelle Snow netted 13 and Hamchetou Maiga-Ba added 10 for the Comets (12-20), who led by as many as 10 points in the game.
Led by Deanna Nolan's 20 points, the Shock (24-8) twice came within a single point in the fourth quarter, but could not complete a rally in a game that meant nothing in the standings.
After Katie Smith's 3-point shot brought Detroit within one point with 3:38 remaining in the game, Houston scored eight straight points to seal the victory.
DETROIT 73 FINAL
Aug 14 9:28 PM
DETROIT 59 END, 3RD QTR
Aug 14 9:01 PM
DETROIT 41 HALFTIME
Aug 14 8:25 PM
DETROIT 23 END, 1ST QTR
Aug 14 7:56 PM
- Shock overhaul continues with trade for Crossley Apr 14
- Shock send draft picks to Sun for Holt, Black Apr 7
- Shock considering trading draft picks for veterans Mar 31
- Marion Jones signs with WNBA's Tulsa Shock Mar 11
- Marion Jones signs with WNBA's Tulsa Shock Mar 10
- Shock may make move without 2 All-Stars Feb 9
- WNBA's Detroit franchise moving to Tulsa, Okla. Oct 20
- AP source: Detroit Shock are moving to Tulsa Oct 19
- Fever top Shock, reach first WNBA finals Sep 27
- Fever beat Shock 79-75 to force Game 3 Sep 25
- Zellous, Nolan help Shock beat Fever, 72-56 Sep 23
- Fever hoping to end losing streak to Detroit Sep 22