Haynie helps Monarchs draw closer in West standingsAug 16, 2007 - 4:29 AM SACRAMENTO, California (Ticker) -- Kristin Haynie scored a career-high 14 points off the bench as the Sacramento Monarchs posted an 81-74 victory over the San Antonio Silver Stars on Wednesday night.
All-Star Kara Lawson and Nicole Powell both poured in 13 points and Rebekkah Brunson grabbed 12 rebounds for Sacramento (19-13), which moved within one game of San Antonio (20-12) for second place in the Western Conference standings.
The Monarchs shot 45 percent (28-of-62) from the floor and forced 16 turnovers.
In the fourth quarter, Haynie's 3-point snapped a 69-69 tie with 4:50 remaining as the Monarchs took the lead for good. Holding a slim 73-72 edge, Sacramento used a quick 6-0 surge sparked by Brunson's layup at the 2:05 mark.
All-Star Becky Hammon and Sophia Young each scored 19 points for the Silver Stars, who were outscored, 24-12, in the decisive period.
San Antonio also fell one game behind Phoenix (21-11) for the top spot in the West.
SAN ANTONIO 74
SACRAMENTO 81 FINAL
Aug 15 11:58 PM
SAN ANTONIO 62
SACRAMENTO 57 END, 3RD QTR
Aug 15 11:28 PM
SAN ANTONIO 43
SACRAMENTO 36 HALFTIME
Aug 15 10:50 PM
SAN ANTONIO 18
SACRAMENTO 16 END, 1ST QTR
Aug 15 10:25 PM
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6
- Dearica Hamby scores 15 points, Stars beat Storm 59-58 Sep 13
- Stars-Storm Preview Sep 12
- Odyssey Sims scores 27, Shock clinch West's third seed Sep 8
- Stars-Shock Preview Sep 7
- A week to go and the Eastern Conference is still tight Sep 7
- Brittney Griner scores 22 points, Mercury beat Stars 82-52 Sep 5
- Mercury-Stars Preview Sep 5