Whitmore carries Fever past Shock in season finaleAug 20, 2007 - 12:59 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- The Indiana Fever finished the season on a positive note, but the same can't be said for the Detroit Shock.
Tamika Whitmore scored 18 points off the bench and Anna DeForge added 17 and eight rebounds as the Fever posted a 72-66 triumph over the Shock in the regular season finale for both clubs.
Despite not having All-Star Tamika Catchings in the lineup since late June, Indiana (21-13) ended the campaign winning four of six to prepare for a first-round matchup against third-seeded Connecticut (18-16).
Tammy Sutton-Brown's layup with 5:20 left snapped a 59-59 tie, sparking a 9-2 surge as the Fever grabbed the lead for good and never looked back.
With the Eastern Conference already wrapped up and home-court advantage throughout, Detroit (24-10) rested its starters in the fourth quarter to extend its slide to four games.
Kara Braxton and Plenette Pierson each scored 13 points for the Shock, who will host the fourth-seeded New York Liberty (16-18) in the opening round of the playoffs next weekend.
INDIANA 72 FINAL
Aug 19 8:04 PM
INDIANA 50 END, 3RD QTR
Aug 19 7:33 PM
INDIANA 33 HALFTIME
Aug 19 7:04 PM
INDIANA 16 END, 1ST QTR
Aug 19 6:33 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign WNBA finals MVP Sylvia Fowles Feb 2
- New York Liberty sign free agent Shavonte Zellous Feb 1
- WNBA free agency begins, Liberty signs Indiana guard Zellous Feb 1