Braves take down AstrosAug 5, 2012 - 9:27 PM
Chipper Jones went 2-for-4 with an RBI double and a run scored for the Braves, who concluded an 8-2 homestand an improved to 16-7 since the All-Star break.
"We'll take 8-2 in a 10-game span any day of the week, no matter who you are playing," said Jones.
Jonny Venters (4-3) got the decision, entering in the sixth with runners on second and third and recording the final two outs of the inning to preserve a 1-1 tie.
Kris Medlen made his second start of the season and was charged with one run on five hits over 5 1/3 innings. He struck out six and walked two.
The 26-year-old righty made his first start of the year on July 31 and allowed one run in a win over the Marlins. On Sunday, Medlen was relieved by Cory Gearrin after giving up consecutive one-out singles in the sixth.
Justin Maxwell, who had a career-high four hits -- including two homers -- in the Astros' 3-2 win on Saturday, followed with a line drive double into left- center field, tying the game at one run apiece.
Venters then struck out Matt Downs and grounded out J.D. Martinez after intentionally walking Steve Pearce to load the bases.
Atlanta regained its advantage in the bottom of the inning, loading the bases with two down on singles by Jones, Freddie Freeman and Ross, before a wild pitch by Bud Norris allowed the veteran third baseman to cross the plate.
Janish then ripped a single up the middle, making it 4-1.
In all, Norris (5-9), who has dropped eight straight decisions, was charged with four runs on seven hits -- including Ross' solo shot in the second -- with three walks and seven strikeouts over six frames.
"I felt good," said Norris. "All the ground balls got through. I got nothing I can do there. I'm making pitches, unfortunately they didn't go my way."
Jones plated Heyward from first with a double down the left field line in the seventh and has now hit safely in 29 of his last 33 games since June 19.
Michael Bourn capped the scoring with a two-out RBI single in the eighth.
Gearrin, Venters, Chad Durbin, Luis Avilan and Cristhian Martinez combined for 3 2/3 scoreless innings of relief in the victory.
The Braves bullpen allowed just on earned run over 30 1/3 innings during the 10-game homestand.
Jones now has 1,609 career RBI, tying him with Goose Goslin for 31st all- time...The Braves took the season series from the Astros, 4-2...Atlanta improved to 62-1 this season when taking a lead into the seventh inning or later, which is the best mark in the major leagues.
- HOUSTON: 1
Aug 5 4:39 PM
- Michael Bourn singled to center scoring David Ross with two out. On the play, Juan Francisco advances to second. Runners on first and second and Martin Prado due up.
Astros 1, Braves 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 5 4:31 PM
- Chipper Jones doubled to left scoring Jason Heyward with two out. Runner on second and Freddie Freeman due up.
Astros 1, Braves 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 5 4:05 PM
- Eric Hinske is pinch-hitting for Jonny Venters.
Astros 1, Braves 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 5 3:37 PM
- Johnny Venters enters the game for the Braves with runners on second and third and one out.
Astros 1, Braves 1 Top 6, 1 OutAug 5 3:16 PM
- David Ross one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Paul Janish due up.
Astros 0, Braves 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 5 2:10 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 5 1:37 PM
- Minor attempts to pitch Braves to sweep of Dodgers 9:27a
- Locke eyes a win in rubber match against Astros 9:26a
- Astros edge Pirates in 11 innings 12:50a
- Late homers rally Braves past Dodgers 12:48a
- Braves' O'Flaherty lands on DL 6:18p
- Rounding Third: Astros take step in the right direction Sat
- Braves rely on Medlen, as they resume series with the Dodgers Sat
- Burnett hopes to add to Astros' woes Sat
- Streaking Pirates best Astros on 9th-inning error Sat
- Upton slams Braves to win over Dodgers Sat
- Braves activate Heyward Fri
- Reid Ryan named Astros president Fri