Padres take series from BravesAug 30, 2012 - 4:22 AM
Yasmani Grandal, Yonder Alonso, Cameron Maybin and Logan Forsythe added an RBI each for the Padres, who took the set and have won nine of their last 10.
"We're playing with a lot of confidence. We feel like we can go out each and every night and win," Headley said.
Eric Stults (5-2) scattered five hits and one unearned run, walking two and fanning five, over six innings.
David Ross homered and Michael Bourn drove in the other run for the Braves, who finished a 10-game road swing at 4-6.
"It's a frustrating end to a road trip," Braves third baseman Chipper Jones said.
Tommy Hansen (12-7) was tagged in defeat for eight hits and four runs -- three earned -- over 4 2/3 frames.
The Padres broke open a close game with a four-run burst in their last at-bat.
Forsythe hit a leadoff double against Chad Durbin and Maybin walked, bringing on Jonny Venters. He walked Alexi Amarista, but an Everth Cabrera fly failed to bring in a run. Denorfia followed with a two-run, pinch-single for a 6-1 game, then Grandal and Alonso each knocked in a run with singles for a seven- run spread.
Ross greeted Brad Brach with a homer, but the Padres reliever retired the next three batters to close out the win.
San Diego snapped a scoreless tie in the fourth on an RBI double from Forsythe and a Maybin groundout.
Atlanta hit the scoreboard in the seventh on a Bourn sacrifice fly to score Dan Uggla, who hit a leadoff single and moved to third when Forsythe misplayed a Paul Janish grounder.
The hosts responded in the home half on Headley's two-run single. Cabrera and Will Venable scored on the play, with the former reaching on a Jones error and the latter with an infield hit
Wednesday's victory took place with the Padres' new owners in attendance. Among them were members of the O'Malley family and San Diego businessman Ron Fowler ... Both clubs are back in action on Friday, as San Diego heads to Colorado to begin a six-game road trip and Atlanta returns home to host the Phillies ... Stults has recorded wins in his last four decisions.
- ATLANTA: 2
SAN DIEGO: 8
Aug 29 9:28 PM
- David Ross lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Dan Uggla due up.
Braves 2, Padres 8 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 29 9:23 PM
- Brad Brach starts the inning for the Padres.
Braves 1, Padres 8 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 29 9:21 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Denorfia single to center scored Logan Forsythe and Cameron Maybin with one out. On the play, Alexi Amarista advances to second. Runners on first and second with Chase Headley due up.
Braves 1, Padres 6 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 29 9:11 PM
- Chase Headley single to right scored Everth Cabrera and Will Venable with none out. Runner on first and Yasmani Grandal due up.
Braves 1, Padres 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 29 7:59 PM
- Reed Johnson grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Braves 1, Padres 2 Mid 5Aug 29 7:48 PM
- Cameron Maybin ground out third to first scored Mark Kotsay with two out. On the play, Logan Forsythe advances to third. Runner on third and Eric Stults due up.
Braves 0, Padres 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 29 7:38 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 29 6:37 PM
- Cards take series in San Diego; Lyons wins debut Thu
- Braves hammer Twins to complete series sweep Wed
- Cards try for 30th victory in finale with Padres Wed
- Braves eye sweep of Twins in matinee affair Wed
- Descalso, Wainwright leads Cards over Padres Wed
- Braves rally past Twins to extend streak Wed
- Twins rely on Pelfrey in Atlanta Tue
- Wainwright tries to find win column versus Padres Tue
- Marquis, Padres get by Cardinals Tue
- Teheran, Braves stifle Twins Tue
- Twins hope to recover in rare trip to Atlanta Mon
- Streaking Cards hit the road to battle Padres Mon