Orioles solve Cook, Red SoxAug 16, 2012 - 3:59 AM
Matt Wieters, Adam Jones and Nate McLouth knocked in one run each for the Orioles, who have won nine of their last 11.
Miguel Gonzalez (5-2) earned the win after giving up two runs on six hits over six innings.
Jim Johnson tossed a perfect ninth to pick up his 35th save.
Carl Crawford drove in a pair of runs and Jacoby Ellsbury went 2-for-4 with an RBI for the Red Sox, who have lost six of eight and 10 of their last 15.
Aaron Cook (3-6) carried a no-hitter into the sixth, but was tagged for five runs -- two earned -- on three hits over 5 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"He really pitched well for the five innings and was fielding his position really well during that time," said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine.
The Red Sox scored two in the fifth to break a scoreless tie. Scott Podsednik and Nick Punto singled to put two on with one out. Ellsbury followed with a ground-rule double to score Podsednik and Crawford's sacrifice fly plated Punto.
Baltimore plated five in the sixth inning to take a 5-2 lead. Nick Markakis walked and back-to-back singles by J.J. Hardy and McClouth produced a run.
Jones then tapped a grounder back to the pitcher, but Cook's throw sailed into the outfield and Hardy scored. Wieters followed with a ground-rule double to plate McClouth, signaling the end to Cook's night.
Chris Davis reached on a fielder's choice, but Jones was thrown out at the plate. Jones lowered his shoulder to plow Boston catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who held on to temporarily stop the bleeding.
But the O's weren't done as Reynolds smacked a double to left to score Wieters and Davis.
"It just kind of happened quick. There were a couple big hits. The Reynolds hit was really big," said Hardy.
Boston pushed across a run in the seventh to make it 5-3. Punto reached on a throwing error and moved to third on an Ellsbury single before scoring on Crawford's groundout.
Baltimore is 24-19 against the AL East ... Johnson has more saves (35) than strike outs (28) ... Boston second baseman Dustin Pedroia extended his hitting streak to 10 games ... Valentine was ejected in the eighth by home plate umpire Mike Everitt.
- BOSTON: 3
Aug 15 10:02 PM
- Carl Crawford grounded out second to first scored Nick Punto. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 3, Orioles 5 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 15 9:17 PM
- Mark Reynolds doubled to left scored Matt Wieters and Chris Davis. Runner on second with two outs and Manny Machado due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 15 9:01 PM
- Matt Wieters doubled to left scored Nate McLouth. On the play, Adam Jones advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Chris Davis due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 15 8:52 PM
- Nate McLouth singled to right scored Nick Markakis. On the play, J.J. Hardy advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Adam Jones due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 1 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 15 8:46 PM
- Carl Crawford sacrifice fly out to center scored Nick Punto. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 0 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 15 8:18 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 15 7:08 PM
- Rays beat Red Sox, avoid Fenway sweep 11:13p
- Davis homers twice as Orioles rout Tigers 8:04p
- Red Sox ink top draft pick Ball 3:57p
- Tillman, Orioles conclude set at Detroit 2:15p
- Red Sox hope to pad AL East lead versus Rays 2:12p
- Gomes HR in 9th sends Red Sox to twinbill sweep of Rays Wed
- Jones powers O's past Tigers Wed
- Red Sox send Buchholz to DL with neck strain Tue
- Red Sox get best of Rays in twinbill opener Tue
- O's summon Britton for Tuesday start Tue
- Tigers ace Verlander toes rubber versus Orioles Tue
- Red Sox, Rays play two at Fenway Tue