Ciriaco's triple in 9th carries Red Sox over YankeesJul 29, 2012 - 4:24 AM
Adrian Gonzalez was 3-for-5 with a three-run home run, four RBI and two runs scored while Ciriaco finished with three hits and three runs scored for the Red Sox, who had dropped six of seven coming into the game.
Jon Lester went six innings in the start for Boston and gave up four runs on four hits with two walks and six strikeouts. Andrew Miller (3-1) got the win for getting the final out of the eighth inning.
"We needed to win that game," Lester said. "Guys came back and kept fighting. That was big for us."
Jayson Nix and Mark Teixeira each hit a two-run home run while Chris Stewart added a solo shot for the Yankees, who had won three of four prior to Saturday's soggy setback.
CC Sabathia had his worst start of the year as he was charged with six runs on eight hits with a pair of walks and six strikeouts over six innings. Rafael Soriano (2-1) gave up two runs in the ninth.
The Yankees had tied the game in the eighth on Teixeira's 20th homer of the year, but with one out in the ninth Jacoby Ellsbury walked and came home when Ciriaco followed with a drive to right-center that Curtis Granderson misplayed and it dropped for a triple. Dustin Pedroia gave Boston some breathing room with a sac fly.
"We haven't seen much of that and getting turned around like that," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said of Granderson's misplayed ball. "It just shows it's part of the game and sometimes players are going to have the wrong reads on balls. It's going to happen in the course of the season."
Alfredo Aceves worked a 1-2-3 ninth inning for his 22nd save of the season.
The start of the game was delayed for a little over two hours due to rain, and when play started the Red Sox wasted no time in getting to Sabathia. With one out, Ciriaco singled and Pedroia followed with a single. Gonzalez's base hit scored one, and after Cody Ross flied out, Will Middlebrooks doubled in two more for a 3-0 lead.
The Yankees got on the board in the third inning when Stewart hit a two-out, solo shot to left, his first of the season and first as a Yankee.
In the fifth, Ciriaco singled with two outs and Pedroia kept the inning alive with a walk. Gonzalez then lifted the ball over the wall in right for a 6-1 advantage.
New York kept itself in the game with three runs in the bottom of the fifth. Andruw Jones walked to start the inning and Nix followed with his fourth home run of the year. Derek Jeter later grounded out to score Russell Martin and make it a 6-4 game.
Raul Ibanez led off the eighth frame with a pinch-hit single, but Jeter and Granderson struck out. Teixeira, though, lofted a pitch over the right field wall.
Teixeira has hit at least 20 home runs in each of his 10 seasons in the majors...It was just the second win for Boston in eight games against the Yankees this season...Hirkoi Kuroda pitches the finale for New York on Sunday while Felix Doubront will take the hill for Boston...New York leads the majors with 159 home runs.
- BOSTON: 8
NEW YORK: 6
Jul 28 9:22 PM
- Dustin Pedroia sacrifice fly to left scored Pedro Ciriaco with two out. None on and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 8, Yankees 6 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 28 9:13 PM
- Mark Teixeira two-out, two-run Home Run (20) to right scored Raul Ibanez. Robinson Cano due up.
Red Sox 6, Yankees 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 28 8:55 PM
- Derek Jeter ground out short to first scored Russell Martin with two out. On the play, Ichiro Suzuki advances to third. Runner on third and Curtis Granderson due up.
Red Sox 6, Yankees 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 28 7:52 PM
- Jayson Nix none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Andruw Jones. Russell Martin due up.
Red Sox 6, Yankees 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 28 7:44 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez two-out, three-run Home Run (10) to right scored Pedro Ciriaco and Dustin Pedroia. Cody Ross due up.
Red Sox 6, Yankees 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 28 7:35 PM
- Chris Stewart two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Derek Jeter due up.
Red Sox 3, Yankees 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 28 7:03 PM
- Will Middlebrooks double to center scored Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez with two out. Runner on second and Kelly Shoppach due up.
Red Sox 3, Yankees 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 28 6:19 PM
- Cody Ross flied out to center. Runners on second and third with two outs and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 1, Yankees 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 28 6:17 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jul 28 6:10 PM
- Buchholz, Red Sox down ChiSox 1:41a
- O's swamp Yankees with early offense 1:25a
- Yankees' Kuroda gets ball in rubber match with Orioles Wed
- Red Sox try to avoid the brooms in Chicago Wed
- Quintana, ChiSox shut down Red Sox Wed
- McLouth's blast in the 10th lifts O's over Yankees Wed
- Red Sox hope to bounce back against White Sox Tue
- Yankees send Hughes to hill at Camden Yards Tue
- Dunn, White Sox hand Boston's Lester first loss Tue
- Johnson blows third straight save as Yanks top O's Tue
- Bailey returns for BoSox Mon
- Orioles hope to end slide in matchup with CC, Yanks Mon