Indians edge Red Sox in openerAug 10, 2012 - 2:49 AM
Asdrubal Cabrera and Carlos Santana added an RBI apiece in the fifth for the Indians, who have won two in a row since an 11-game skid. Jason Donald hit a homer and knocked in two runs.
Ubaldo Jimenez (9-11), who had lost his previous four decisions, gave up three runs on eight hits over six-plus innings to pick up the win. He struck out 10 and walked one.
Adrian Gonzalez hit a two-run homer for the Red Sox, who were coming off a 4-6 homestand. Dustin Pedroia had an RBI.
Boston starter Felix Doubront (10-6) allowed four runs on seven hits over 4 1/3 innings.
Trailing 3-1, Cleveland scored three runs in the fifth to take the lead. With one out, Lou Marson singled and Donald walked. Cabrera followed with an RBI double to left. After Shin-Soo Choo walked to load the bases, Santana hit a run-scoring single to left. Andrew Miller came in from the bullpen and gave up a sacrifice fly to Brantley.
The Indians tacked on an insurance run in the eighth. With the bases loaded and one out, Donald grounded into a fielder's choice to plate a run.
Chris Perez pitched a perfect ninth to pick up his 30th save of the season.
Donald's solo homer to right in the first inning gave the Indians an early lead.
But Boston got a two-run homer from Gonzalez in the fourth to take the lead. Pedroia led off with a single and scored on Gonzalez's blast to right.
The Red Sox tacked on a run in the fifth to take a 3-1 edge. Jacoby Ellsbury singled, stole second and crossed the plate on Pedroia's base hit to center.
The Red Sox are 3-2 against the Indians this season...Indians second baseman Jason Kipnis missed the game due to stiffness in his neck...Cleveland fired pitching coach Scott Radinsky and promoted Ruben Niebla from Triple-A Columbus to serve as the team's interim pitching coach. The Indians also released veteran outfielder Johnny Damon and pitcher Jeremy Accardo on Thursday. In addition, the Indians placed designated hitter Travis Hafner on the 15-day disabled list and recalled Donald from Columbus.
- BOSTON: 3
Aug 9 10:19 PM
- Jason Donald grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second, scoring Ezequiel Carrera with two outs. On the play, Lou Marson out at second and Brent Lillibridge advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Red Sox 3, Indians 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 9 10:05 PM
- Shelley Duncan grounded out pitcher to first to end the inning.
Red Sox 3, Indians 4 End 5Aug 9 9:00 PM
- Carlos Santana singled to left scoring Jason Donald with one out. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to second and Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third. Bases loaded and Michael Brantley due up.
Red Sox 3, Indians 3 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 9 8:53 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera doubled to left scoring Lou Marson with one out. On the play, Jason Donald advances to third. Runners on second and third and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Red Sox 3, Indians 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 9 8:45 PM
- Dustin Pedroia singled to center scoring Jacoby Ellsbury with one out. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to second on the throw home. Runner on second and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 3, Indians 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 9 8:27 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez none-out, two-run Home Run (12) to right scored Dustin Pedroia. Cody Ross due up.
Red Sox 2, Indians 1 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 9 8:03 PM
- Jason Donald lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Red Sox 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 9 7:17 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 9 7:05 PM
- Indians eye another win over Mariners 9:29a
- Twins hope for some home cooking versus Red Sox 9:26a
- Gomes, Ellsbury help BoSox rally past Twins 2:19a
- Kipnis, Tribe top M's 1:25a
- Indians' Pestano activated Fri
- Mariners continue trek in meeting with Indians Fri
- Boston's Buchholz aims for win No. 7 against Twins Fri
- Red Sox rally in 9th to take series Fri
- Hanrahan has surgeries, including Tommy John Thu
- Cobb aims for extended start as Rays battle Red Sox Thu
- Drew, Red Sox slam Rays Thu
- Indians whip Phillies in series finale Wed