Red Sox win, drop Yankees into tie atop AL EastSep 12, 2012 - 7:12 AM
That was plenty good enough on Tuesday at Fenway.
Jacoby Ellsbury's fourth hit of the game, a solid single to right, plated Pedro Ciriaco with the winning run in the ninth, as Boston edged the Yankees, 4-3, in the first contest of a three-game set.
"It's a great feeling," Ellsbury said. "We just want to keep putting on that show for the rest of the season with the games we have left."
Dustin Pedroia finished with three hits, including a solo home run, and two runs batted in, while Ciriaco posted two hits and scored twice for Boston, which had dropped four straight coming into the contest.
Jon Lester labored through 5 1/3 frames, throwing just 55 of his 102 pitches for strikes, walking seven and giving up three runs and five hits. Andrew Bailey (1-0) pitched a scoreless ninth for the victory.
Nick Swisher finished with two hits and Derek Jeter drove in two runs for the Yankees, who dropped into a tie for the American League East lead with Baltimore, which downed Tampa Bay, 9-2, earlier on Tuesday.
"We have to try to string together some wins," Jeter said. "If you keep winning and losing, winning and losing and the other team's doing the same, they're going to gain ground on you."
Hiroki Kuroda gave up three runs on eight hits in 6 1/3 frames, but David Robertson (1-7) lost it in the ninth, giving up the winning run after pitching a scoreless eighth. He moved his way through the eighth, striking out the side before running into immediate trouble in the ninth.
Ciriaco singled with one out and moved to second when Mike Aviles rolled an infield single to deep shortstop. Ellsbury followed with the base hit to right, and Ichiro Suzuki's one-hop throw home was just behind the sliding Ciriaco to end the game.
The Yankees struck first, getting their first two runners on base with Jeter's walk and Swisher's double. After an Alex Rodriguez groundout, Robinson Cano's roller to first plated Jeter for the game's first run.
After the Red Sox escaped a two-on, no-out jam in the top of the third, they used the momentum to seize the lead in the home half. Ciriaco doubled to left and moved to third on a groundout before Ellsbury knocked him in with a single to center.
He then manufactured a run by stealing second and racing home on Pedroia's two-out single.
Lester kept dodging bullets until it finally caught up with him in the sixth. He walked Curtis Granderson and gave up a single to Andruw Jones before Jayson Nix sacrificed both runners up one base. Jeter's ground-rule double gave the Red Sox the lead and chased Lester.
Pedroia's solo home run over the Green Monster in left tied the game in the bottom of the frame, and Boston had a chance to take the advantage in the next inning, but Joba Chamerlain got Daniel Nava to ground into a force out with runners on the corners to end the threat.
The Yankees have alternated wins and losses in their last six games ... Pedroia's home run was his 15th of the season ... The Yankees hold a 8-5 edge in the season series.
- NEW YORK: 3
Sep 11 10:29 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury singled to right scored Pedro Ciriaco with two out to end the game.
Yankees 3, Red Sox 4 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 11 10:29 PM
- James Loney flied out to center. None on with two outs and Cody Ross due up.
Yankees 3, Red Sox 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 11 9:12 PM
- Derek Jeter ground-rule doubles to right scoring Curtis Granderson and Andruw Jones. Runner on second with one out and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 3, Red Sox 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 11 9:00 PM
- Dustin Pedroia singles to right scoring Jacoby Ellsbury. Runner on first with two outs and James Loney due up.
Yankees 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 11 8:15 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury singles to center scoring Pedro Ciriaco. Runner on first with one out and Scott Podsednik due up.
Yankees 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 11 8:09 PM
- Russell Martin walked. Runners on first and third with two outs and Steve Pearce due up.
Yankees 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 11 7:20 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 11 7:13 PM
- Yankees' Kuroda gets ball in rubber match with Orioles 10:40a
- Red Sox try to avoid the brooms in Chicago 10:36a
- Quintana, ChiSox shut down Red Sox Wed
- McLouth's blast in the 10th lifts O's over Yankees Wed
- Red Sox hope to bounce back against White Sox Tue
- Yankees send Hughes to hill at Camden Yards Tue
- Dunn, White Sox hand Boston's Lester first loss Tue
- Johnson blows third straight save as Yanks top O's Tue
- Bailey returns for BoSox Mon
- Orioles hope to end slide in matchup with CC, Yanks Mon
- Lester carries unblemished record into the Windy City Mon
- Red Sox finish off sweep of Twins Mon