Angels survive slugfest with YankeesJul 15, 2012 - 11:09 PM Bronx, NY (Sports Network) - Maicer Izturis hit a two-run homer as the LA Angels of Anaheim avoided a three-game sweep at the hands of the New York Yankees with a 10-8 win on Sunday.
Mark Trumbo was 3-for-5 with a solo homer and two runs scored while Albert Pujols and Erick Aybar each added solo home runs for the Angels, who avoided getting swept for the second time this season.
"This is a huge win for us," said Trumbo. "We had some games get away from us, but I think we battled pretty good this series and we're going to take this victory and move towards our next series."
Jered Weaver (11-1) won his fifth straight start despite giving up five runs on 10 hits over seven innings of work. He is 6-0 over his last eight starts after losing his only game of the season on May 13 at Texas.
Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira both hit two-run home runs while Curtis Granderson and Eric Chavez each added solo shots for the Yankees, who had won six of seven coming in.
"We just came up a little short today," said Rodriguez. "But the guys battled for nine innings and we won a good series against a strong team. That's always the objective."
Ivan Nova (10-4) lost for the second time in three starts as he was touched for six runs on nine hits with two walks and three strikeouts over six-plus innings.
The Angels had scored four runs in the eighth and ninth innings to hold a five-run lead going into the ninth, but the Yankees made the final score close.
With Ernesto Frieri on the mound, Robinson Cano walked to start the inning and Teixeira followed with his 18th homer of the season. After Nick Swisher walked, Scott Downs came on the mound and Raul Ibanez singled off the pitcher's glove. Andruw Jones then struck out and Russell Martin hit into a fielder's choice that saw Ibanez forced out at second.
Walks to Derek Jeter and Granderson forced in a run and put the tying run at second, but Kevin Jepsen took the mound and got Rodriguez to pop out for his first save of the season.
"It's always nice to get 10 runs in Yankee Stadium because that's going to help," said Weaver. "Almost wasn't enough, but the guys came in and shut it down."
The Angels got back-to-back solo homers in the first as Aybar hit his fourth of the year with one out and Pujols followed by drilling a hanging curveball deep over the left field wall for his 15th of the season.
In the bottom of the inning, though, the Yankees got it right back as Granderson singled with one out and Rodriguez then hit his 14th of the season to tie the game.
The Yankees took the lead in the second as Chavez singled with one out, moved to second when Martin grounded out to third on a bunt and came home on a Jeter single to center. On the play, Jeter was caught taking a big turn around first, but not before the run came home to make it a 3-2 game.
Granderson tracked down a Mike Trout fly ball to deep center with one out in the second and made a nice catch just before slamming into the wall.
New York had men on first and third with one out in third, but the inning ended on an uncommon double play. With Teixeira at the plate, Weaver caught Cano off first base. After Aybar applied the tag to Cano, he went home with the ball where Bobby Wilson tagged out Rodriguez trying to sneak in from third.
The Angels left the bases loaded in the fourth while Ibanez hit into an inning-ending double play in the bottom of the inning.
Base-running errors continued to plague the Yankees in the fifth as Chavez singled to start the inning, but was then caught off first as Martin popped up a bunt attempt that was caught by Weaver.
The Angels went on top in the sixth after Kendrys Morales and Trumbo singled to start off the inning. That put runners on the corners and Alberto Callaspo hit a shot to center that Granderson was able to track down and make a sliding catch. It was enough to score Morales and tie the game, but it didn't stay that way for long as Izturis smacked a 2-1 pitch just over the wall in right for his first homer of the year and a 5-3 lead.
Granderson continued his strong performance as he led off the sixth with his 25th homer of the year, a shot to right, but the Angels got the run back in the seventh on a run-scoring double play by Pujols in the seventh for a 6-4 lead.
Chavez again made it a one-run game in the seventh when he hit a two-out, solo home run into the bullpen in right field to make it a 6-5 contest.
The Angels put three more runs home in the eighth. With one out, Izturis walked and Peter Bourjos followed with a bunt single. Wilson then singled home Izturis and Trout followed with a double to score Bourjos. After Boone Logan came on the mound, Aybar laid down a suicide squeeze for a 9-5 lead.
Jason Isringhausen set the Yankees down in order in the eighth, while Trumbo added to the lead in the ninth with his 24th home run of the season, a shot over left to start the inning.
The Yankees have scored at least three runs in 39 straight games to set a franchise single-season record. The team record is 49 games from Sept. 7, 1950 through May 16, 1951...The Angels have not been swept in a three-game series by the Yankees in New York since Aug. 29-31, 1995...The Angels start three games in Detroit on Monday...The Yankees lead the majors with 142 home runs on the season and have 41 in their last 21 games...Cano, who went 2-for-3 in the game, has an 18-game hitting streak...On Sunday, the Angels placed pitcher Jordan Walden on the 15-day disabled list and recalled outfielder Kole Calhoun from Triple-A Salt Lake.
- LOS ANGELES: 10
NEW YORK: 8
Jul 15 4:40 PM
- Kevin Jepsen enters the game for the Angels with the bases loaded and two out.
Angels 10, Yankees 8 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 15 4:37 PM
- Mark Teixeira none-out, two-run Home Run (18) to right scored Robinson Cano. Nick Swisher due up.
Angels 10, Yankees 7 Bot 9, 0 OutsJul 15 4:10 PM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (24) to left. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 10, Yankees 5 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 15 3:53 PM
- Erick Aybar squeeze bunt from pitcher to first scored Bobby Wilson. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 9, Yankees 5 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 15 3:40 PM
- Mike Trout doubled to right scoring Peter Bourjos. On the play, Bobby Wilson advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 8, Yankees 5 Top 8, 1 OutJul 15 3:35 PM
- Eric Chavez two-out, solo Home Run (8) to center. Russell Martin due up.
Angels 6, Yankees 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 15 3:19 PM
- Kendrys Morales singled to right. Runner on first with two outs and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 6, Yankees 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 15 3:09 PM
- Curtis Granderson lead-off Home Run (25) to right. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Angels 5, Yankees 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 15 2:51 PM
- Maicer Izturis one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Mark Trumbo. Peter Bourjos due up.
Angels 5, Yankees 3 Top 6, 1 OutJul 15 2:46 PM
- Derek Jeter singled to center scoring Eric Chavez. On the play, Jeter was tagged out going back to first, center to first to second to end the inning.
Angels 2, Yankees 3 End 2Jul 15 1:44 PM
- Alex Rodriguez one-out, two-run Home Run (14) to right center scored Curtis Granderson. Robinson Cano due up.
Angels 2, Yankees 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 15 1:22 PM
- Albert Pujols one-out, solo Home Run (15) to left. Kendrys Morales due up. NOTE: The home runs are back-to-back.
Angels 2, Yankees 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 15 1:12 PM
- Erick Aybar one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 1, Yankees 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 15 1:10 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 15 1:08 PM
- Capuano, Dodgers blank Yankees to split doubleheader 2:20a
- Trout and Wilson helps Angels slip past Mariners 1:27a
- Mattingly returns to Bronx, but Yankees down Dodgers 7:55p
- Angels hand Wilson ball in meeting with Mariners 2:14p
- Yankees, Dodgers set for doubleheader in the Bronx Wed
- Morales helps M's down Halos in extras Wed
- Youkilis to have back surgery, Teixeira to DL Tue
- Seattle sends Bonderman out against Angels Tue
- Mattingly leads Dodgers into the Bronx Tue
- Vargas, offense back Angels over Mariners Tue
- Angels, Mariners both try to bounce back at Angel Stadium Mon
- Yanks' Teixeira has inflammation in right wrist Sun