Harrison strong as Rangers down TwinsApr 14, 2012 - 3:05 AM
Harrison (2-0) gave up just one run on seven hits with two walks and four strikeouts for the Rangers, who have won five of their last six games. Elvis Andrus went 3-for-4 with a run scored.
Danny Valencia drove in the lone run of the game for the Twins, who came into the series having taken the final two games of a three-game set with the Angels. Anthony Swarzak (0-2) gave up four runs on nine hits over seven innings in the loss.
Minnesota had the initial lead of the game as Valencia's sacrifice fly plated Josh Willingham, who reached base on a one-out walk and went to third when Ryan Doumit followed with a single.
The Rangers, though, pushed across three in the fourth to take the lead. Andrus singled to start the frame and Josh Hamilton followed with a single. Consecutive base hits from Adrian Beltre and Michael Young each scored a run and David Murphy added a sac fly later in the frame.
Kinsler homered for the fourth time this season with a leadoff shot in the seventh for a 4-1 advantage.
Minnesota left men on first and third in the fifth and had men on base in each inning after.
The ninth saw Alexi Ogando take the mound to close the game and he hit Willingham and Doumit followed with a single to start the inning. Valencia then hit into a fielder's choice that saw a forceout at second, and Ogando fanned Chris Parmelee then got pinch-hitter Sean Burroughs to foul out for his first save of the season.
Minnesota took five of eight from Texas last season...Going back to last season, Harrison is 6-0 in his last seven starts...Yu Darvish pitches for Texas on Saturday and he will be opposed by Nick Blackburn for Minnesota.
- TEXAS: 4
Apr 13 10:40 PM
- Ian Kinsler lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 4, Twins 1 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 13 9:54 PM
- David Murphy sacrifice fly out to left scored Adrian Beltre. On the play, Nelson Cruz advances to second and Michael Young advances to third. Runners on second and third and with one out and Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 3, Twins 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 13 9:10 PM
- Michael Young singled to left scored Josh Hamilton. On the play, Adrian Beltre advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 2, Twins 1 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 13 9:07 PM
- Adrian Beltre singled to center scored Elvis Andrus. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Michael Young due up.
Rangers 1, Twins 1 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 13 9:06 PM
- Danny Valencia sacrifice fly out to left scored Josh Willingham. Runner on first with two outs and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Rangers 0, Twins 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 13 8:41 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 13 8:12 PM
- Red Sox finish off sweep of Twins 8:39p
- Rangers place Kinsler on DL 5:01p
- Fister hopes for better results versus Rangers 9:45a
- Red Sox shoot for fifth straight win and sweep of Twins 9:26a
- Ortiz clubs two homers as Red Sox pound Twins Sun
- Andrus stars as Rangers down Tigers Sat
- Grimm hopes to turn things around versus Tigers Sat
- Twins hope for some home cooking versus Red Sox Sat
- Gomes, Ellsbury help BoSox rally past Twins Sat
- Porcello, Tigers slip past Rangers Sat
- Rangers, Tigers resume series in Arlington Fri
- Boston's Buchholz aims for win No. 7 against Twins Fri