Rays score 4 in 10th, topple TwinsAug 13, 2012 - 11:12 AM
Desmond Jennings singled off Alex Burnett (4-4) to begin the 10th and stole second before B.J. Upton walked. Ben Zobrist bunted both runners over and Evan Longoria was intentionally walked to load the bases.
Jennings came home when Keppinger grounded out to shortstop. After Carlos Pena was hit by a pitch to again load the bags, Ryan Roberts shot a single through the hole on the right side, plating Upton and Longoria. Coming on to pinch-hit for Sean Rodriguez, Matt Joyce ripped a double into right-center to push across Pena for a 7-3 Rays advantage.
Kyle Farnsworth (1-3) fired a scoreless ninth to pick up the win and Fernando Rodney picked up the final out in the 10th to notch his 36th save of the year.
"I do believe that's the sign of a good ball club," said Joe Maddon about his team winning in extra innings on the road.
Rays starter James Shields surrendered three runs -- two earned -- on five hits and a walk in seven innings, while Twins starter Scott Diamond also went seven frames, allowing three runs on eight hits and two walks.
"He competed, he didn't have his best pitches out there today. He made a lot of good pitches when he had to, kept us in the ballgame," said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire of Diamond.
The Twins have dropped four in a row.
Jennings tallied two hits, including a leadoff homer into the seats in left, and Keppinger opened the second with a towering blast into the first couple rows of seats in left, giving the Rays a 2-0 advantage.
Minnesota, though, tied the contest in the home half when Justin Morneau mashed a two-run shot onto the concourse in right and took the lead, 3-2, after Joe Mauer ripped a two-out RBI single to left in the third.
Tampa Bay knotted the game again in the fifth as back-to-back doubles by Roberts and Rodriguez to open the frame made it 3-3.
Minnesota was 1-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base, while Tampa Bay finished 3-for-10 with RISP and stranded eight...Morneau's homer was his 16th of the year.
- TAMPA BAY: 7
Aug 12 5:34 PM
- Jose Lobaton grounded out first to pitcher to end the inning.
Rays 7, Twins 3 Mid 10Aug 12 5:19 PM
- Ryan Roberts singled to right scoring B.J. Upton and pinch-runner Sam Fuld. On the play, Carlos Pena advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 6, Twins 3 Top 10, 2 OutsAug 12 5:16 PM
- Jeff Keppinger grounded out short to first scoring Desmond Jennings. On the play, Sam Fuld advances to second and B.J. Upton advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Carlos Pena due up.
Rays 4, Twins 3 Top 10, 2 OutsAug 12 5:05 PM
- Jose Lobaton sacrifice bunt from pitcher to second. On the play, Sean Rodriguez advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 3, Twins 3 Top 5, 1 OutAug 12 3:17 PM
- Joe Mauer singled to left scoring Denard Span. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Willingham due up.
Rays 2, Twins 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 12 2:57 PM
- Justin Morneau none-out, two-run Home Run (16) to right scored Josh Willingham. Ryan Doumit due up.
Rays 2, Twins 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 12 2:38 PM
- Jeff Keppinger lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Carlos Pena due up.
Rays 2, Twins 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 12 2:29 PM
- Desmond Jennings lead-off Home Run (9) to left center. B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 12 2:13 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 2:12 PM
- Jurrjens makes O's debut in middle tilt with Rays 9:27a
- Twins hope for some home cooking versus Red Sox 9:26a
- Gomes, Ellsbury help BoSox rally past Twins 2:19a
- Rays nip Orioles in Baltimore slugfest 1:27a
- Orioles welcome Rays to town for weekend series Fri
- Boston's Buchholz aims for win No. 7 against Twins Fri
- Red Sox rally in 9th to take series Fri
- Rays place Price on 15-day DL Thu
- Cobb aims for extended start as Rays battle Red Sox Thu
- Drew, Red Sox slam Rays Thu
- Dunn powers White Sox past Twins Wed
- Rays' Price exits early against Red Sox Wed