Rangers score 6 in 8th, top TwinsAug 24, 2012 - 5:20 AM
Josh Hamilton knocked in five runs and was also thrown at in the third inning, causing Twins pitcher Scott Diamond and manager Ron Gardenhire to be ejected.
The move was in retaliation to Joe Mauer being hit in the upper back by a pitch from Roy Oswalt in the top of the third.
The Twins went 3-for-17 with runners in scoring position and left 14 men on base.
Adrian Beltre, who hit three homers in Wednesday's victory over the Baltimore Orioles, went deep again Thursday. He also doubled with one out in the eighth against Jared Burton (1-1).
Trevor Plouffe's error on a grounder hit by Nelson Cruz was followed by Moreland's hit to left-center field. Following David Murphy's intentional walk, Geovany Soto reached safely when shortstop Pedro Plorimon Jr. fumbled a grounder, making it 6-4. A bases-loaded walk to Ian Kinsler, an RBI single from Elvin Andrus and two-run base hit by Hamilton capped the rally.
The Twins scored twice courtesy of an error on Andrus in the ninth inning.
Mike Adams (3-3) struck out two batters in one inning for the win, and Joe Nathan stranded two men in scoring position by retiring Ben Revere on a fly ball to earn his 25th save of the season.
"I'm still absorbing it," said Ron Washington, who got his 500th win as Rangers manager. "I didn't get there alone. I just hope I can be here and win 500 more."
Hamilton's two-run double in the bottom of the first came after Mauer gave the Twins the lead with an RBI double.
The Twins scored a run in an ugly third inning. In the top of the frame, Mauer was hit square in the upper back on a 3-0 pitch from Oswalt.
As Hamilton came to plate with one out in the bottom half, he said something to Mauer. Diamond's first pitch went over the head of Hamilton.
Home plate umpire Wally Bell immediately ejected Diamond and then Gardenhire, who came out of the dugout to argue.
Anthony Swarzak came in to replace Diamond.
After the game, Gardenhire refused to get into the situation with Diamond and the ejections.
Beltre hit a solo homer to highlight a two-run fifth inning, but the Twins tied the game the next frame. Matt Carson scored on Florimon's groundout.
Span, who injured his collarbone Aug. 12 in a 10-inning loss against Tampa Bay and had missed the previous nine games, tied the contest with a line single to right field.
"The defense let us down there at the end," Gardenhire said. "We had plenty of opportunities. One of those tough ones to take."
Texas' Michael Young left the game to attend the birth of his child ... Mauer has caught 830 career games and is just one away from tying Earl Battey (831) for first on the Twins all-time games caught list ... The Rangers have won six of seven against the Twins this season.
- MINNESOTA: 6
Aug 23 11:49 PM
- Denard Span reach first on Elvis Andrus's throwing error scored Trevor Plouffe and Jamey Carroll with two outs. On the play, Pedro Florimon Jr. advances to third. Runners on second and third and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 6, Rangers 10 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 23 11:42 PM
- Adrian Beltre grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Twins 4, Rangers 10 End 8Aug 23 11:25 PM
- Elvis Andrus single to third scored David Murphy with two outs. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to second and Geovany Soto advances to third. Bases loaded and Josh Hamilton due up.
Twins 4, Rangers 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 23 11:18 PM
- Ian Kinsler walk Mitch Moreland scored on the play with two outs. Bases loaded and Elvis Andrus due up.
Twins 4, Rangers 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 23 11:15 PM
- Geovany Soto reached first on Pedro Florimon Jr.'s fielding error scored Nelson Cruz with one out. On the play, David Murphy advances to second and Mitch Moreland advances to third. Bases loaded and Mike Olt due up.
Twins 4, Rangers 6 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 23 11:12 PM
- Mitch Moreland double to center scored Adrian Beltre with one out. On the play, Nelson Cruz advances to third. Runners on second and third and David Murphy due up.
Twins 4, Rangers 5 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 23 11:07 PM
- Denard Span single to right scored Trevor Plouffe with two outs. Runner on first and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 4, Rangers 4 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 23 10:03 PM
- Pedro Florimon Jr. ground out second to first scored Matt Carson with two outs. On the play, Trevor Plouffe advances to third. Runner on third and Denard Span due up.
Twins 3, Rangers 4 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 23 10:02 PM
- Adrian Beltre two-out, solo Home Run (23) to left center. Nelson Cruz due up.
Twins 2, Rangers 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 23 9:52 PM
- Josh Hamilton sacrifice fly out to center scored Ian Kinsler with two outs. None on and Adrian Beltre due up.
Twins 2, Rangers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 23 9:50 PM
- Ben Revere ground into a fielder's choice scored Pedro Florimon Jr with one out. Runner on second and Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 2, Rangers 2 Top 3, 1 OutAug 23 8:55 PM
- Josh Hamilton double to left center scored Ian Kinsler and Elvis Andrus with none out. Runner on second and Adrian Beltre due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 23 8:23 PM
- Joe Mauer single to left scored Ben Revere with one out. Runner on first and Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 23 8:13 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 8:08 PM
- Rangers activate Pierzynski 2:47p
- Twins rely on Pelfrey in Atlanta 10:50a
- Darvish targets win No. 8 in matchup with A's 10:38a
- Smith guides A's over Rangers Tue
- Teheran, Braves stifle Twins Tue
- Rangers summon Lindblom to make first major league start Mon
- Rangers try to stretch AL West lead in opener with A's Mon
- Twins hope to recover in rare trip to Atlanta Mon
- Murphy, Rangers outslug Tigers Mon
- Red Sox finish off sweep of Twins Mon
- Rangers place Kinsler on DL Sun
- Fister hopes for better results versus Rangers Sun