Yanks pound Jays' bullpen in 10-4 winAug 11, 2012 - 6:31 AM
Robinson Cano and Nick Swisher each had two hits, two runs scored and an RBI, while Freddy Garcia (6-5) gave up two runs on five hits and did not walk a batter in New York's third straight win.
"I felt fine," said Garcia. "Hopefully I can continue pitching the way I've been pitching."
Kelly Johnson went 2-for-4 with a home run and two RBI for Toronto, which was coming off a disastrous 2-8 road trip that ended in a three-game sweep at the hands of the Tampa Bay Rays.
The Yankees did not record an extra-base hit against Ricky Romero (8-9), who was removed before the eighth despite retiring the last 10 batters he faced.
"I felt great, I felt like I finished strong," said Romero. "I got back to that delivery I've kind of been looking for, and felt like I found it towards the end, and can't say enough about [pitching coach] Bruce Walton. He's helped me a lot and he has been one of the guys that has stuck with me throughout all of this."
Teixeira wasted little time abusing Toronto's bullpen, as the slugger hit a towering homer to right on the first pitch he saw from Steve Delabar. Delabar later yielded a two-run single to Suzuki that pushed New York's lead to 6-2.
Toronto had runners on the corners and no outs in the home half of the eighth, but only managed one run on Colby Rasmus' double-play ground ball.
More shoddy relief work and a bad play in the field led to four more Yankees runs in the ninth. Swisher doubled in Derek Jeter and scored on Raul Ibanez's pinch-hit single to make it 8-3.
Suzuki came up with the bases loaded and hit a fly ball to left that Rajai Davis missed, resulting in two more runs for the visitors.
Jeff Mathis' RBI single in the home half accounted for the final margin.
Romero was charged with three runs -- two earned -- on four hits and three walks. The unearned run came in the second when Mathis threw wildly to third trying to catch Andruw Jones advancing on a sacrifice bunt.
Jones scored easily as the ball sailed into left field, and the Yankees pushed another run across later in the inning on Suzuki's bases-loaded fielder's choice grounder.
Johnson cut the deficit in half with a home run to right in the bottom half, but New York got the run back on Cano's RBI single in the third.
Garcia gave up three straight one-out hits in the fourth, the last a run- scoring single by Johnson. The veteran hurler stranded two in scoring position by striking out Omar Vizquel and getting Mathis on a comebacker to the mound.
The Blue Jays dropped to six games below .500 (53-59) for the first time since the end of the 2009 season...Romero has dropped his last eight decisions...Garcia came in 7-8 with a 6.02 ERA all-time versus the Blue Jays.
- NEW YORK: 10
Aug 10 10:17 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki doubled to center scoring Robinson Cano and Raul Ibanez. On the play, Russell Martin advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 10, Blue Jays 3 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 10 9:58 PM
- Jayson Nix struck out swinging. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 8, Blue Jays 3 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 10 9:52 PM
- Nick Swisher doubled to left-center scoring Derek Jeter. Runner on second with none out and Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 7, Blue Jays 3 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 10 9:43 PM
- Colby Rasmus's double play groundout from short to first scored Anthony Gose. Rajai Davis out at second. None on with two outs and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Yankees 6, Blue Jays 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 10 9:34 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki singled to center scoring Jayson Nix and Russell Martin. Runner on first with two outs and Casey McGehee due up.
Yankees 6, Blue Jays 2 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 10 9:19 PM
- Robinson Cano grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Andruw Jones due up.
Yankees 4, Blue Jays 2 Top 8, 1 OutAug 10 9:09 PM
- Kelly Johnson doubled to right scoring Yunel Escobar. On the play, David Cooper advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Omar Vizquel due up.
Yankees 3, Blue Jays 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 10 8:19 PM
- Robinson Cano singled to right scoring Nick Swisher. On the play, Cano advances to second on Anthony Gose's throwing error. Runner on second with one out and Andruw Jones due up.
Yankees 3, Blue Jays 1 Top 3, 1 OutAug 10 7:54 PM
- Kelly Johnson one-out, solo Home Run (13) to right. Omar Vizquel is due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 10 7:43 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki's fielder's choice from second to short scored Andruw Jones. Russell Martin out at second and Jayson Nix advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Casey McGehee due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 10 7:36 PM
- Jayson Nix reached first on a fielder's choice to the catcher on a bunt. On the play, Jeff Mathis's throwing errror scored Robinson Cano. On the play, Andruw Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 10 7:33 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 10 7:08 PM
- Jays' Oliver lands on DL 1:48p
- Rays hope to extend home success over Yankees 10:45a
- Rolling Blue Jays turn to Nolin vs. Orioles 10:44a
- Toronto's Encarnacion slams Orioles 10:30p
- Orioles pay a visit to Blue Jays Thu
- O's swamp Yankees with early offense Thu
- Bautista, Blue Jays slip by Rays in 10 Thu
- Rays, Jays tangle in finale at Rogers Centre Wed
- Yankees' Kuroda gets ball in rubber match with Orioles Wed
- Rays outlast Blue Jays Wed
- McLouth's blast in the 10th lifts O's over Yankees Wed
- Ortiz leads Jays into meeting with visiting Rays Tue