Yankees begin series up north with Blue JaysAug 10, 2012 - 2:54 PM
The Yankees rebounded to earn a split after losing the first two contests in a four-game series at Detroit. Eric Chavez, who has filled in nicely at third base since Alex Rodriguez went down with an injury, was the hero on Thursday, hitting a go-ahead solo homer in the eighth inning as New York hung on to beat the Tigers, 4-3.
The game was not without drama, however, as Rafael Soriano ran into some trouble in the ninth before nailing down his 27th save.
Mark Teixeira preceded Chavez's blast with a game-tying homer, his 21st of the season.
Chavez, a former All-Star in Oakland, had two hits and scored twice for the Yankees, giving him a .467 batting average (14-for-30) in his last nine games. He belted the game-winner against Joaquin Benoit, a pitcher he traditionally struggles with.
"My numbers aren't very good against him," Chavez said of facing Benoit. "In fact, they're pretty terrible. I was looking for a heater and I believe he left a changeup kind of up and away. I just saw it out of his hand."
The banged-up Blue Jays, who are starting a 10-game homestand on Friday, are coming in fresh off a disastrous 2-8 road trip, culminating with a three-game sweep at the hands of Tampa Bay.
The Rays' Jose Lobaton drove in three runs and Matt Moore tossed six strong innings, as Tampa Bay dispatched Toronto, 7-1, to finish the sweep on Thursday.
Henderson Alvarez (7-9) was tagged in defeat for 11 hits and six runs -- four earned -- over 4 2/3 frames for the Blue Jays, who stumbled to their ninth loss in 11 outings overall.
Toronto scored just four runs on 12 hits in the entire series in Tampa as it continues to toil without injured regulars Jose Bautista (wrist), Brett Lawrie (oblique) and Adam Lind (back).
Veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia will take the ball for the Yankees in the opener, hoping to halt New York's three-game losing streak in Toronto.
The crafty Garcia is coming off his 150th career major league win, the most ever for a Venezuelan-born player, when he allowed two runs over five innings in a 6-2 win over Seattle. The 35-year-old is 7-8 with a dismal 6.02 ERA all- time versus the Blue Jays, however.
Opposing Garcia will be lefty Ricky Romero, who had lost seven straight starts, until shutting down Oakland in a 3-1 win on Saturday. Romero is 3-5 lifetime against New York with a 5.37 ERA.
The Yankees have taken three of their five matchups versus the Jays so far this season, dropping two north of the border in mid-may, before rebounding to sweep a three-game series in the Bronx two months later.
- NEW YORK: 10
Aug 10 10:17 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki doubled to center scoring Robinson Cano and Raul Ibanez. On the play, Russell Martin advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 10, Blue Jays 3 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 10 9:58 PM
- Jayson Nix struck out swinging. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 8, Blue Jays 3 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 10 9:52 PM
- Nick Swisher doubled to left-center scoring Derek Jeter. Runner on second with none out and Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 7, Blue Jays 3 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 10 9:43 PM
- Colby Rasmus's double play groundout from short to first scored Anthony Gose. Rajai Davis out at second. None on with two outs and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Yankees 6, Blue Jays 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 10 9:34 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki singled to center scoring Jayson Nix and Russell Martin. Runner on first with two outs and Casey McGehee due up.
Yankees 6, Blue Jays 2 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 10 9:19 PM
- Robinson Cano grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Andruw Jones due up.
Yankees 4, Blue Jays 2 Top 8, 1 OutAug 10 9:09 PM
- Kelly Johnson doubled to right scoring Yunel Escobar. On the play, David Cooper advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Omar Vizquel due up.
Yankees 3, Blue Jays 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 10 8:19 PM
- Robinson Cano singled to right scoring Nick Swisher. On the play, Cano advances to second on Anthony Gose's throwing error. Runner on second with one out and Andruw Jones due up.
Yankees 3, Blue Jays 1 Top 3, 1 OutAug 10 7:54 PM
- Kelly Johnson one-out, solo Home Run (13) to right. Omar Vizquel is due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 10 7:43 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki's fielder's choice from second to short scored Andruw Jones. Russell Martin out at second and Jayson Nix advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Casey McGehee due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 10 7:36 PM
- Jayson Nix reached first on a fielder's choice to the catcher on a bunt. On the play, Jeff Mathis's throwing errror scored Robinson Cano. On the play, Andruw Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 10 7:33 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 10 7:08 PM
- Pirates complete Stewart trade, send RHP Haynes to Yanks 12:29p
- Halladay calls it a career Mon
- Yankees finalize Ellsbury, Kuroda deals Sat
- Report: Beltran joins Yankees for 3 years, $45 million Fri
- Yankees sign utility man Johnson to one-year deal Fri
- Rounding Third: Seattle finally gets its man Dec 6
- Report: Mariners, Cano agree on $240 million deal Dec 6
- Yankees introduce McCann Dec 5
- Twins land Hughes with $24 million deal Dec 5
- Yankees introduce McCann Dec 5
- Rounding Third: Yanks get back to business Dec 4
- Phillies acquire Lincoln from Jays for two players Dec 3