Davis, Jays slug past YankeesAug 12, 2012 - 11:44 PM
Edwin Encarnacion punctuated a six-run fourth inning with his 30th homer of the season for the Blue Jays, who snapped a five-game losing streak.
"Finally a good offensive day," said Blue Jays manager John Farrell. "In the fourth and fifth innings, we were able to finally create some separation on the offensive side."
J.A. Happ (1-1) took the hill for the second time as a starter in a Toronto uniform and gave up four runs on six hits over 5 2/3 innings.
Derek Jeter collected three hits and knocked in two runs, and Robinson Cano added a two-run homer for New York, which had won four in a row and five straight against Toronto.
Yankees starter Phil Hughes (11-10) was tagged for seven runs on nine hits over four frames. He hasn't won on the road since June 15 at Washington, dropping four consecutive outings.
"I was trying to get the ball down and away and a lot of pitches were running back and it was hard to find good counts and sequences to get through the inning," said Hughes of the fourth. "To know that I personally gave that game away early is tough to live with."
Hughes was relieved by Ryota Igarashi -- recalled from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Sunday -- and the Japanese right-hander allowed two singles and issued a walk, loading the bases with two outs in the fifth. Davis then cleared them by doubling into the left-field corner for a 10-1 Toronto advantage.
But the Yankees chipped away by scoring three runs in each of the next two innings.
Jeter and Cano both homered to right off Happ in the sixth, prompting a pitching change. Brad Lincoln recorded the final out but couldn't complete the seventh.
After Curtis Granderson led off with an infield single, Davis climbed the left-field wall to rob Casey McGehee of a two-run homer. Lincoln then retired Russell Martin on a ground ball to second before giving up RBI doubles to Jayson Nix and Jeter, who scored a base hit by Nick Swisher.
Darren Oliver replaced Lincoln and eventually got Andruw Jones to bounce into a fielder's choice with the bases loaded.
Oliver tossed a 1-2-3 eighth and Casey Janssen duplicated the feat in the ninth to notch his 15th save.
David Cooper plated Encarnacion with a two-out single in the first and Jeff Mathis doubled home Moises Sierra to spark Toronto's offensive surge in the fourth.
Anthony Gose drew a one-out walk and scored along with Mathis on Davis' two- out double. Mike McCoy then knocked in Davis with a grounder to deep short and Encarnacion followed with a two-run blast to left.
McGehee put New York on the board with an RBI double in the fifth.
Cano tied Tony Lazzeri (169) for the most home runs by a second baseman in Yankees history...The Blue Jays haven't been swept at home by the Yankees in a series of at least three games since March 31-April 2, 2003.
- NEW YORK: 7
Aug 12 3:57 PM
- Mark Teixeira doubled to left. On the play, Nick Swisher advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 7, Blue Jays 10 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 12 3:17 PM
- Robinson Cano two-out, two-run Home Run (25) to right scored Nick Swisher. Andruw Jones due up.
Yankees 4, Blue Jays 10 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 12 2:52 PM
- Derek Jeter one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 10 Top 6, 1 OutAug 12 2:47 PM
- Jayson Nix struck out swinging. None on with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 10 Top 6, 1 OutAug 12 2:47 PM
- Casey McGehee doubled to left scoring Andruw Jones with two out. Runner on second and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 7 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 12 2:23 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion two-out, two-run Home Run (30) to left scored Mike McCoy. David Cooper due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 12 2:14 PM
- Mike McCoy infield single to short scored Rajai Davis with two out. Runner on first and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 12 2:13 PM
- Rajai Davis doubled to center scoring Jeff Mathis and Anthony Gose with two out. Runner on second and Mike McCoy due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 12 2:09 PM
- Jeff Mathis doubled to left scoring Moises Sierra with none out. Runner on second and Yan Gomes due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 12 2:00 PM
- David Cooper singled to right scoring Edwin Encarnacion with two out. Runner on first and Moises Sierra due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 12 1:19 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 1:08 PM
- Blue Jays use long ball to down Rockies 2:52a
- Youkilis to have back surgery, Teixeira to DL 5:19p
- Jays shoot for seventh straight victory and series win over Rockies 10:49a
- Mattingly leads Dodgers into the Bronx 10:32a
- Izturis helps Blue Jays overcome Rockies Tue
- Johnson hopes to get off the schneid against Rockies Mon
- Wang sharp, Jays complete four-game sweep of Rangers Mon
- Yanks' Teixeira has inflammation in right wrist Sun
- Yankees hold off Halos Sun
- Angels try to extend Yankees' skid with 3-game sweep Sun
- Jays shoot for first 4-game road sweep of Rangers Sun
- Angels beat struggling Yankees Sat