Jays hope to avoid Yanks' broomsAug 12, 2012 - 2:43 PM
Nova (11-6) allowed just five hits, one walk, and two earned runs over 7 1/3 innings while striking out 10 as the New York Yankees defeated the Toronto Blue Jays, 5-2.
"He threw really well today," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said of Nova's outing. "I thought his curveball was very good. For the most part he spotted his fastball pretty well. He threw some good sliders today, it was more consistent than it has been."
Rafael Soriano pitched a perfect ninth innings for his 28th save of the season.
Casey McGehee did the majority of the damage for the Bombers, who have won four straight. He finished 2-for-4 with a three-run home run in the fourth inning. Derek Jeter added two hits and an RBI out of the leadoff spot.
For the Blue Jays, Aaron Laffey (3-3) surrendered seven hits, four walks, and five earned runs over 5 2/3 innings. Laffey was effective when he first joined the rotation in late June, but he's struggled mightily of late, allowing four earned runs or more in four consecutive starts, raising his ERA to 4.72.
Edwin Encarnacion finished with two hits and two RBI and Rajai Davis went 2- for-4 with two runs scored and a stolen base, his 29th of the year.
Toronto has now lost five straight and 11 of its last 13 games.
The Yankees will go after a three-game sweep this afternoon with Phil Hughes on the mound. He's been effective albeit unspectacular this season with an 11-9 record and a 4.10 ERA.
Hughes was awful his last time out, lasting just 4 1/3 innings while allowing eight hits and four earned runs in an Aug. 7 loss to the Detroit Tigers. It was a rare poor performance for the right-hander of late however, as it was the first time he'd allowed more than three earned runs since June 20.
The 26-year-old has not fared well away from home, going 3-6 with a 4.58 ERA in 10 road starts.
The Blue Jays will answer with J.A. Happ, who's been largely disappointing this season with a 7-10 record and a 4.98 ERA. He hasn't fared much better since coming to Toronto from the Astros in late July, posting a 6.35 ERA in 11 innings.
The southpaw made his first start for his new team on Aug. 7 and lasted only 4 1/3 innings, allowing seven hits and four earned runs in a 4-1 loss to the Rays.
Happ has just one career start against the Yankees back on May 23, 2009, where he allowed two earned runs over six innings of work in a no decision.
The Yankees have taken five of their seven matchups with the Jays so far this season.
- NEW YORK: 7
Aug 12 3:57 PM
- Mark Teixeira doubled to left. On the play, Nick Swisher advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 7, Blue Jays 10 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 12 3:17 PM
- Robinson Cano two-out, two-run Home Run (25) to right scored Nick Swisher. Andruw Jones due up.
Yankees 4, Blue Jays 10 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 12 2:52 PM
- Derek Jeter one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 10 Top 6, 1 OutAug 12 2:47 PM
- Jayson Nix struck out swinging. None on with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 10 Top 6, 1 OutAug 12 2:47 PM
- Casey McGehee doubled to left scoring Andruw Jones with two out. Runner on second and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 7 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 12 2:23 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion two-out, two-run Home Run (30) to left scored Mike McCoy. David Cooper due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 12 2:14 PM
- Mike McCoy infield single to short scored Rajai Davis with two out. Runner on first and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 12 2:13 PM
- Rajai Davis doubled to center scoring Jeff Mathis and Anthony Gose with two out. Runner on second and Mike McCoy due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 12 2:09 PM
- Jeff Mathis doubled to left scoring Moises Sierra with none out. Runner on second and Yan Gomes due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 12 2:00 PM
- David Cooper singled to right scoring Edwin Encarnacion with two out. Runner on first and Moises Sierra due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 12 1:19 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 1:08 PM
- O's swamp Yankees with early offense 10:36p
- Bautista, Blue Jays slip by Rays in 10 8:25p
- Rays, Jays tangle in finale at Rogers Centre 10:41a
- Yankees' Kuroda gets ball in rubber match with Orioles 10:40a
- Rays outlast Blue Jays Wed
- McLouth's blast in the 10th lifts O's over Yankees Wed
- Ortiz leads Jays into meeting with visiting Rays Tue
- Yankees send Hughes to hill at Camden Yards Tue
- Johnson blows third straight save as Yanks top O's Tue
- Encarnacion, Blue Jays top Rays Mon
- Orioles hope to end slide in matchup with CC, Yanks Mon
- Jays' Dickey takes on familiar Rays up north Mon