Gomes leads A's to fifth straight winJun 17, 2012 - 3:13 AM
After the Padres scored two in the top of the seventh to take a 4-3 lead, the A's answered in the bottom half as Cliff Pennington worked a leadoff walk and Jemile Weeks followed two batters later with a single off of reliever Joe Thatcher (0-2).
Pennington moved to third on a fielder's choice before scoring on a wild pitch by reliever Luke Gregerson. Gomes then followed with his pinch-hit blast into the seats in left-center field to give the home team a two-run lead.
"It's his role and you have to try to stay confident in a guy," said A's manager Bob Melvin about Gomes, who was 0-for-34 on pinch-hit attempts coming into the game. "I didn't know it was 0-for-34 though."
Sean Doolittle (1-0) earned the win despite giving up the lead in the top of the seventh. Oakland starter Tyson Ross carried a no-hitter through 5 2/3 innings, but gave up a two-run shot to Carlos Quentin for his only blemish.
Ryan Cook fired a perfect ninth to nail down his third save of the year, while Seth Smith added a solo shot, as the A's won their season-high fifth straight game.
Will Venable smacked a two-run double in the seventh for the Padres, who had won three straight before dropping the first two games of this series.
Smith registered the first hit of the game -- and the first run -- when he launched a fastball deep into straightaway center field to give the A's a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the fourth.
Brandon Moss followed two batters later with a laser off the right-field wall for a double and came around to score as Colin Cowgill ripped a single through the left side of the infield to double the home team's advantage.
The A's extended their lead in the fifth as Pennington singled to start the frame, moved to second on Coco Crisp's bunt and came around to score when Weeks doubled into right field.
Ross fired 5 2/3 innings of no-hit ball, but paid for his two-out walk to Chase Headley as Quentin followed with a two-run blast to left to give the Padres their first hit of the game, trimming their deficit to 3-2.
"Carlos, again, came up big for us," said Padres manager Bud Black of Quentin. "That's what he does."
Doolittle replaced Ross in the seventh and served up a leadoff double to Yonder Alonso before issuing a one-out walk to John Baker.
Pinch-hitter Jesus Guzman then struck out looking before Venable put the Padres in front when he crushed a hanging curveball that bounced off the wall in right, scoring Alonso and Baker as the visitors grabbed a 4-3 lead.
San Diego starter Russ Ohlendorf allowed three runs on five hits and two walks in 4 2/3 innings...The A's recalled Ross from Triple-A Sacramento before the game...Oakland went 3-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left six on base, while San Diego went 1-for-8 with men in scoring position and stranded five.
- SAN DIEGO: 4
Jun 16 7:17 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jonny Gomes two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Josh Reddick. Brandon Inge due up.
Padres 4, Athletics 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 16 6:45 PM
- With Jonny Gomes batting, Cliff Pennington scored on a Luke Gregerson wild pitch with two out. On the play, Josh Reddick advances to second. Runner on second and Jonny Gomes at the plate.
Padres 4, Athletics 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 16 6:44 PM
- Will Venable doubled to right scoring Yonder Alonso and John Baker with two out. On the play, Will Venable advanced to third on the throw. Runner on third and Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 4, Athletics 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 16 6:25 PM
- Carlos Quentin two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Chase Headley. Mark Kotsay due up.
Padres 2, Athletics 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 16 6:02 PM
- Josh Reddick flied out to center. On the play, Jemile Weeks advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Seth Smith due up.
Padres 0, Athletics 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 16 5:44 PM
- Collin Cowgill singled to left scoring Brandon Moss with two out. Runner on first and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Padres 0, Athletics 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 16 5:23 PM
- Seth Smith one-out, solo Home Run (7) to center. Brandon Inge due up.
Padres 0, Athletics 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 16 5:18 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 4:08 PM
- First-inning burst helps Wolf, Rangers down A's 7:51p
- Cards try for 30th victory in finale with Padres 10:41a
- A's shoot for sweep of rival Rangers 10:37a
- Descalso, Wainwright leads Cards over Padres 2:35a
- Straily, Cespedes help A's edge Rangers 1:56a
- Wainwright tries to find win column versus Padres Tue
- Darvish targets win No. 8 in matchup with A's Tue
- Marquis, Padres get by Cardinals Tue
- Smith guides A's over Rangers Tue
- Rangers try to stretch AL West lead in opener with A's Mon
- Streaking Cards hit the road to battle Padres Mon
- Padres club Nationals Sun