A's target fifth straight win in middle tilt with PadresJun 16, 2012 - 11:08 AM
After sweeping Seattle during the week, Oakland continued to roll in Friday's opener with a convincing 10-2 win.
It was the bottom of the Oakland lineup that really drove the offensive eruption with the eight and nine hitters, Collin Cowgill and Cliff Pennington, going a combined 5-for-6 with two RBI and four runs scored.
Brandon Moss also continued to swing the bat well hitting a home run for the fourth consecutive game in the win. Moss has now hit six home runs while batting an even .300 since being called up from Triple-A Sacramento in early June.
Travis Blackley lasted six innings and allowed two runs on five hits to collect his first win of the season and just the second of his career for the A's.
Anthony Bass' recent struggles continued as he took the loss for San Diego by allowing nine runs over 5 1/3 innings of work. Bass has not gotten a win in his last six decisions while his ERA has risen a full two runs.
Carlos Quentin was 2-for-4 with an RBI and Chris Denorfia also had an RBI single for San Diego which had a three-game winning streak stopped.
Taking the ball for the Oakland Athletics in game two of the series will be Tyson Ross who returns to the team after being sent down to Triple-A Sacramento on May 31.
The former second-round draft pick had not been the same pitcher that showed promise by going 3-3 with a 2.75 ERA as a spot starter a season ago. Ross was just 2-6 with a 6.51 ERA through nine starts this year after being called up from Triple-A Sacramento in mid-April.
Ross was 2-1 with a 2.45 ERA in four starts in Triple-A this season including a 2-0 record to go with a sparkling 1.38 ERA in two starts during his two-week demotion.
The 25-year-old has never faced the Padres but does have a 3.00 ERA in five career appearances in interleague play.
Ross Ohlendorf will be making his first start in the majors this season when he takes the hill for San Diego in this matchup. Ohlendorf signed a minor league deal with the Boston Red Sox in February but opted out of the contract on June 1. Just three days later Ohlendorf signed a one-year deal with the Padres.
He has made two appearances out of the bullpen since joining the Padres and has a 3.38 ERA over 5 1/3 innings pitched and also picked up a win.
Ohlendorf had spent the majority of the previous four seasons with the Pittsburgh Pirates where he made 64 starts and compiled a 13-27 record to go with a 4.60 ERA. A year ago Ohlendorf made only nine starts and struggled through most of them to a 1-3 record and an inflated ERA of 8.15.
The right-hander will be making his second start and third appearance overall against Oakland a team against which he owns a 1.23 ERA against.
- SAN DIEGO: 4
Jun 16 7:17 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jonny Gomes two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Josh Reddick. Brandon Inge due up.
Padres 4, Athletics 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 16 6:45 PM
- With Jonny Gomes batting, Cliff Pennington scored on a Luke Gregerson wild pitch with two out. On the play, Josh Reddick advances to second. Runner on second and Jonny Gomes at the plate.
Padres 4, Athletics 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 16 6:44 PM
- Will Venable doubled to right scoring Yonder Alonso and John Baker with two out. On the play, Will Venable advanced to third on the throw. Runner on third and Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 4, Athletics 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 16 6:25 PM
- Carlos Quentin two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Chase Headley. Mark Kotsay due up.
Padres 2, Athletics 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 16 6:02 PM
- Josh Reddick flied out to center. On the play, Jemile Weeks advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Seth Smith due up.
Padres 0, Athletics 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 16 5:44 PM
- Collin Cowgill singled to left scoring Brandon Moss with two out. Runner on first and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Padres 0, Athletics 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 16 5:23 PM
- Seth Smith one-out, solo Home Run (7) to center. Brandon Inge due up.
Padres 0, Athletics 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 16 5:18 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 4:08 PM
- Astros acquire RHP Bass from Padres Wed
- A's ship Blevins to Washington Wed
- Rockies acquire Anderson from A's Tue
- A's make Kazmir signing official Dec 4
- A's send Smith to Padres for P Gregerson Dec 3
- Rangers, A's complete four-player trade Dec 3
- Padres agree to deals with Stults, Stauffer Dec 3
- Report: A's to sign Kazmir to 2-year deal Dec 3
- A's add closer Johnson in trade with O's Dec 3
- A's acquire Abad from Nationals Nov 25
- Orioles acquire RHP Brad Brach from Padres Nov 25
- Pirates and Padres make three-player deal Nov 25