Barmes hits grand slam as Pirates hammer PadresAug 12, 2012 - 11:21 PM
Neil Walker went 5-for-5 with a homer, two RBI and scored twice, and Andrew McCutchen had two hits and drove in a pair for the Pirates, who snapped a three-game skid. Michael McKenry also knocked in two in the victory.
"That's the thing about this group, even when we were down 5-0, we knew the importance of focusing and staying focused in this game and grinding out the at-bats," said Walker. "Got the bases loaded there and Barmes came up with maybe one of the biggest hits of the year."
Erik Bedard (7-12) earned the win despite giving up five runs -- three earned -- on five hits with six strikeouts over five frames.
Chris Denorfia homered and Logan Forsythe had two hits and scored twice for the Padres, who lost at PNC Park for the first time since Sept. 18, 2009. San Diego had won its last 11 games in Pittsburgh entering Sunday.
Ross Ohlendorf (4-3) was saddled with the loss after giving up seven runs -- six earned -- on five hits and three walks over three-plus frames.
San Diego plated four in the first to take an early lead.
Denorfia smacked a leadoff homer to get things started.
Forsythe walked and Carlos Quentin was hit by a pitch to put two on with one out. Jesus Guzman followed with a single to score Forsythe. Cameron Maybin ripped a grounder to short but Barmes' throw sailed over the head of first baseman Gaby Sanchez, allowing Quentin and Guzman to score.
The Padres pushed another run across in the second. Forsythe doubled then scored on Chase Headley's ground out.
Headley cued one off the end of his bat up the first baseline. The ball was rolling in foul territory but slowly drifted across the line and was fielded by McKenry, but no one covered the plate and Forsythe scored from second to put the visitors ahead 5-0.
Walker's RBI single got the Bucs on the board in the third, but they broke it open in the fourth after plating nine.
Ohlendorf walked in a run with the bases loaded before giving up a grand slam to Barmes. Barmes turned on a hanging-slider, hammering it off the foul pole in left for his first-career grand slam.
Bedard drew a walk and Walker singled to put two on for McCutchen, who crushed a two-run double to center. Garret Jones followed with a triple to score McCutchen and McKenry singled to bring home Jones.
"The whole inning was bad," said Ohlendorf about the fourth. "The grand slam was certainly really bad. The whole inning I just wasn't sharp."
Walker's homer in the seventh put the Pirates up 11-5.
The Pirates reinstated pitcher Juan Cruz from the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher Jared Hughes to Triple-A Indianapolis...Pittsburgh is 58-0 when leading after eight innings...The Padres' 11-game winning streak at PNC Park was the longest active winning streak for any team over an opponent at their home ballpark. The Padres are 28-10 all-time at PNC Park and have never lost consecutive games or a series there.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
Aug 12 5:12 PM
- Neil Walker lead-off Home Run (14) to right. Andrew McCutchen is due up.
Padres 5, Pirates 11 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 12 4:23 PM
- Jesus Guzman walked. Runner on first with none out and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 5, Pirates 10 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 12 3:26 PM
- Garrett Jones tripled to center scoring Andrew McCutchen. Runner on third with one out and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Padres 5, Pirates 9 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 12 3:15 PM
- Andrew McCutchen doubled to center scoring Erik Bedard and Neil Walker. Runner on second with one out and Garrett Jones due up.
Padres 5, Pirates 8 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 12 3:13 PM
- Clint Barmes none-out, Grand Slam (6) to left scored Gaby Sanchez, Pedro Alvarez and Michael McKenry. Erik Bedard is due up.
Padres 5, Pirates 6 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 12 3:06 PM
- Michael McKenry's walk scored Garrett Jones. Bases loaded with none out and Clint Barmes due up.
Padres 5, Pirates 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 12 3:02 PM
- Neil Walker singled to center scoring Erik Bedard. Runner on first with two outs and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Padres 5, Pirates 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 12 2:38 PM
- Chase Headley's groundout from the catcher to first scored Logan Forsythe. None on with two outs and Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 5, Pirates 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 12 2:13 PM
- Cameron Maybin reached on a fielder's choice. On the play, Clint Barmes's throwing error scored Carlos Quentin and Jesus Guzman. Runner on third with one out and Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 4, Pirates 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 12 1:54 PM
- Jesus Guzman singled to left scoring Logan Forsythe. On the play, Carlos Quentin advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 2, Pirates 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 12 1:48 PM
- Chris Denorfia lead-off Home Run (4) to left-center. Logan Forsythe is due up.
Padres 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 12 1:37 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 1:36 PM
- Haren, Cashner face off in San Diego 9:28a
- Locke eyes a win in rubber match against Astros 9:26a
- Padres capitalize on error, edge Nats 1:11a
- Astros edge Pirates in 11 innings 12:50a
- Zimmermann vies to become majors' first 8-game winner in San Diego Sat
- Burnett hopes to add to Astros' woes Sat
- Nats edge Padres in 10 innings Sat
- Streaking Pirates best Astros on 9th-inning error Sat
- Astros renew old rivalry against Pirates Fri
- Burch hopes for better results in San Diego Fri
- Strasburg shines as Nats down Padres Fri
- Snider leads Pirates past Brewers Fri