Lohse, Cardinals top PiratesApr 22, 2012 - 11:59 PM
Lohse (3-0) gave up just one run on six hits without walking a batter while striking out five for the Cardinals, who took two of three games in the series.
Lohse improved to 4-1 in his career in Pittsburgh and the Cardinals are 4-0 in his starts this season while outscoring opponents 14-4.
"I feel like this is what I'm capable of doing, going out there and keeping the ball out of the middle of the plate and keeping it down," Lohse said. "I feel like I can be successful every time out."
Mitchell Boggs tossed a perfect eighth inning and Kyle McClellan closed it out in the ninth.
David Freese had a two-run single, Rafael Furcal went 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored and Matt Holliday also knocked in a run.
Casey McGehee drove in the only run of the day for the Pirates, who got seven innings from starter Erik Bedard in defeat.
Bedard (0-4) gave up three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits and four walks while fanning seven.
"I thought it was a very blue-collar effort from Erik today," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "He battled and gave us seven, but was maybe just a tick off today."
St. Louis jumped on top with a run in its first at-bat. Furcal led off the game with a single up the middle, Tyler Greene reached on a bunt single, and Holliday walked to load the bases with no outs. Carlos Beltran then grounded into a double play, which allowed Furcal to score.
Furcal opened the Cardinals' third with a double off the center field wall and Greene worked a walk. After Holliday flied out, Greene moved to second on a passed ball and both runners touched home on a two-run single by Freese to extend the lead to 3-0.
Pittsburgh put together a threat in the sixth when Jose Tabata doubled to left field and advanced to third on a foul out by Andrew McCutchen, but Neil Walker then fouled out to Freese at third to end the frame.
The Bucs finally cracked the scoreboard in the eighth when Michael McKenry doubled to start the inning and came around to score on a single up the middle by pinch-hitter McGehee.
The Cards added two more runs in the ninth on RBI singles by Holliday and Furcal to account for the final margin.
In 11 of their first 15 games, either the Pirates or their opponent have scored in the first inning...It was Bedard's first career start against the Cardinals...Pittsburgh had managed just three runs in Bedard's four starts this season...St. Louis went 3-for-13 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight, while the Pirates finished 1-for-5 with men in scoring position and left four on base.
- ST. LOUIS: 5
Apr 22 4:15 PM
- Matt Holliday single to right scored Skip Schumaker with two out. On the play, Rafael Furcal advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 5, Pirates 1 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 22 4:06 PM
- Rafael Furcal single to left scored Shane Robinson with one out. On the play, Skip Schumaker advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Tyler Greene due up.
Cardinals 4, Pirates 1 Top 9, 1 OutApr 22 4:03 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Casey McGehee single to center scored Michael McKenry with none out. Runner on first with none out and Nate McLouth due up.
Cardinals 3, Pirates 1 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 22 3:48 PM
- David Freese single to right scored Rafael Furcal and Tyler Greene with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 3, Pirates 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 22 2:24 PM
- Carlos Beltran double play to third scored Rafael Furcal. Matt Holliday out at second Tyler Greene advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 22 1:44 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 22 1:39 PM
- Lynn tosses Cards over Dodgers 1:48a
- Estrada pitches Brewers over Pirates 11:54p
- Burnett tries to get off the schneid in Milwaukee 10:24a
- Dodgers return home to face Cards 10:24a
- McCutchen helps Pirates sweep Cubs Thu
- Pirates eye sweep of Cubs Thu
- Cards take series in San Diego; Lyons wins debut Thu
- Liriano strong again as Pirates edge Cubs Thu
- Cardinals send Salas to DL, promote Lyons Wed
- Report: Cardinals' Garcia to have season-ending surgery Wed
- Cards try for 30th victory in finale with Padres Wed
- Samardzija eyes another win in the Steel City Wed