Amarista's grand slam lifts Padres over AstrosJun 29, 2012 - 3:43 AM
Amarista's first-career homer helped the Padres split the four-game series. Chase Headley went 3-for-5 with a solo homer and two runs scored.
Andrew Cashner, who took a no-hitter into the seventh, allowed two runs on two hits. He struck out nine and walked one over 6 1/3 frames. Nick Vincent (1-0) got the win despite giving up one run in the eighth.
Brian Bogusevic hit a two-run homer for the Astros, who had just three hits.
Dallas Keuchel, coming off a complete game in his last outing, gave up one run on four hits over six innings. Brett Myers (0-3) allowed six runs -- one earned -- on four hits while recording just two outs in the ninth.
Down by two, 3-1, the Padres exploded for six runs in the ninth. Pinch-hitter John Baker doubled and moved to third on pinch-hitter Mark Kotsay's single. Logan Forsythe then reached base on third baseman Chris Johnson's fielding error, which allowed a run to score. After Chase Headley singled to load the bases, Carlos Quentin was hit by a pitch to force in another run. With two outs, Amarista smacked Myers' offering over the wall in right to give San Diego the lead.
Huston Street retired the Astros in order in the bottom half to secure the victory.
Headley's homer in the third was the only support Cashner had.
Cashner's bid for a no-hitter came to an end in the seventh. Carlos Lee stopped Cashner's no-hit bid with a one-out single to left-center field. Bogusevic followed with a blast off the facing of the second deck in right.
Houston tacked on a run in the eighth. J.D. Martinez walked, moved to third on Scott Moore's single and crossed the plate on Vincent's wild pitch. Vincent settled down and retired the next three batters to keep it a 3-1 game.
The Padres recalled Cashner from Double-A San Antonio on Thursday and optioned pitcher Brad Brach to Triple-A Tucson...The Astros went 5-5 on a 10-game homestand...The Padres are the only team in the majors without a no-hitter.
- SAN DIEGO: 7
Jun 28 11:09 PM
- Alexi Amarista two-out, Grand Slam (1) to right scored Logan Forsythe, Chase Headley and Carlos Quentin. Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 7, Astros 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 28 11:00 PM
- Carlos Quentin hit by pitch scored Cameron Maybin with one out. Bases loaded and Jesus Guzman due up.
Padres 3, Astros 3 Top 9, 1 OutJun 28 10:56 PM
- Chris Johnson fielding error scored John Baker with one out. On the play, Cameron Maybin advances to second. Runners on first and second with Chase Headley due up.
Padres 2, Astros 3 Top 9, 1 OutJun 28 10:55 PM
- Jordan Schafer struck out swinging. Runner on second with two outs and Jed Lowrie due up.
Padres 1, Astros 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 28 10:41 PM
- Luke Gregerson enters the game for the Padres with none on and one out.
Padres 1, Astros 2 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 28 10:12 PM
- Chase Headley two-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 1, Astros 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 28 8:44 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 28 8:08 PM
- Diamondbacks use big 7th inning, down Padres 1:05a
- Young's HR in 9th boosts A's over Astros 12:14a
- McCarthy tries for repeat performance in outing vs. Padres 10:48a
- A's try to remain perfect this season vs. Astros 10:46a
- Cards take series in San Diego; Lyons wins debut Thu
- Martinez's HR, Lyles' arm help Astros secure series Thu
- Shields tries to snap skid as Royals battle Astros Wed
- Cards try for 30th victory in finale with Padres Wed
- Royals rally past Astros Wed
- Descalso, Wainwright leads Cards over Padres Wed
- Wainwright tries to find win column versus Padres Tue
- Astros, Royals get back to work at Minute Maid Park Tue