Doumit powers Twins over RoyalsJul 22, 2012 - 10:27 PM
Doumit went 3-for-4 with four RBI and three runs scored for the Twins, who improved to 8-4 against the Royals this season. Brian Dozier knocked in two runs.
Deduno (1-0), making his third career start, gave up one run on six hits to pick up his first win in the big leagues. He struck out four and walked three.
Billy Butler and Yuniesky Betancourt homered for Kansas City, which went 3-7 on a 10-game homestand. Alex Gordon and Lorenzo Cain added an RBI apiece.
Jeremy Guthrie (0-1), who was acquired by the Royals on Friday from the Colorado Rockies, allowed five runs on four hits over five innings in his Royals debut. He struck out four and walked three.
"I felt great out there. I felt strong," Guthrie said. "It'll be great to get back into a routine. It's been over a month really since I've been in a five- man rotation."
Doumit led off the second with a homer to right.
Minnesota tacked on four more runs in the third to make it a 5-0 game. Jamey Carroll singled and Ben Revere and Joe Mauer walked to load the bases with one out. After Josh Willingham popped out, Doumit hit a two-run single to left- center field. Dozier followed with a two-run double to left-center field.
The Royals got on the board in the fourth. Mike Moustakas walked and Butler singled to put men on the corners with no outs. Cain's sacrifice fly cut the gap to 5-1.
Doumit's second solo homer of the game came in the sixth. He became just the third Twins player to homer from both sides of the plate, joining Roy Smalley (May 30, 1986) and Chili Davis (Oct. 2, 1992).
"That's cool. Roy Smalley. Chili Davis. That's great company to be in," Doumit said. "I've done it in the minor leagues, but not in the big leagues."
The Twins added another run in the seventh to make it 7-1. Carroll singled and raced home on Denard Span's double to right.
Kansas City made things interesting by scoring a pair of runs in the eighth and ninth. Moustakas led off the eighth with a double and scored on Butler's homer to left.
Eric Hosmer started the ninth with a double off Glen Perkins. He moved to third on Chris Getz's groundout and scored on Gordon's sacrifice fly. Betancourt followed with a homer to left. Moustakas, though, struck out swinging to end the game.
Guthrie was 3-9 with a 6.35 earned run average in 19 games with the Rockies, including 15 starts, this season. He fell to 4-2 lifetime against the Twins...Kansas City went 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven.
- MINNESOTA: 7
KANSAS CITY: 5
Jul 22 5:02 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Yuniesky Betancourt two-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Mike Moustakas due up.
Twins 7, Royals 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 22 5:00 PM
- Alex Gordon sacrifice fly to left scored Eric Hosmer with two outs. None on and Alcides Escobar due up.
Twins 7, Royals 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 22 4:59 PM
- Lorenzo Cain grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Salvador Perez due up.
Twins 7, Royals 3 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 22 4:40 PM
- Denard Span double to right scored Jamey Carroll with none out. On the play Denard Span was tagged out betewwn second and third. None on and one out and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 7, Royals 1 Top 7, 1 OutJul 22 4:05 PM
- Ryan Doumit lead off Home Run 2 (9) to left. Brian Dozier due up.
Twins 6, Royals 1 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 22 3:45 PM
- Ben Revere grounded out to first. None on with one out and Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 5, Royals 1 Top 5, 1 OutJul 22 3:30 PM
- Brian Dozier double to left scored Joe Mauer and Ryan Doumit with two outs. Runner on second and Alexi Casilla due up.
Twins 5, Royals 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 22 3:00 PM
- Ryan Doumit single to left scored Jamey Carroll and Ben Revere with two outs. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runners on second and third and Brian Dozier due up.
Twins 3, Royals 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 22 2:58 PM
- Ryan Doumit lead-off Home Run (8) to right. Brian Dozier due up.
Twins 1, Royals 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 22 2:32 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 22 2:14 PM
- White Sox send Sale to the hill in Minnesota 2:11p
- Indians pin hopes on Masterson in finale with Royals 2:11p
- Doumit's clutch hit sends Twins past ChiSox 3:37a
- Indians use three-run eighth to beat Royals 12:56a
- Royals hope to move above .500 against Tribe Tue
- White Sox continue road trip in Minnesota Tue
- Royals edge Indians thanks to wild pitch Tue
- Royals rely on Shields in opener against Tribe Mon
- Surging Royals down Rays Sun
- Hunter hits 300th HR, leads Tigers past Twins Sun
- Rays eye split with Royals Sun
- Twins eye series victory over Tigers Sun