Maholm, Braves top PadresAug 16, 2012 - 2:04 AM
Jason Heyward contributed a two-run double and Martin Prado collected three hits for Atlanta, which has won five of its last seven games.
Maholm (11-7) held San Diego to five hits, walked three and struck out seven. Logan Forsythe's home run was the southpaw's lone blemish.
The struggles continued for San Diego's Edinson Volquez (7-9) on Wednesday night. Volquez was tagged for six runs on seven hits and two walks in 3 2/3 innings. He has now given up 21 runs in 13 2/3 innings over his last four outings.
The Braves threatened in the second but failed to score after Uggla walked and Juan Francisco doubled to begin the inning. Brian McCann hit a ground ball to first and Yonder Alonso threw Uggla out at the plate. Paul Janish then popped out to third and Maholm struck out swinging.
Forsythe and Uggla traded two-out blasts in the third, with the latter coming after Atlanta had put two men in scoring position again.
Prado stroked a one-out single and Heyward doubled to left field before Volquez snared a a chopper off the bat of Freddie Freeman. Prado remained in a rundown between third and home long enough to allow Freeman to reach second. Uggla followed with a line-drive smash to the seats in left field.
Heyward's double highlighted a three-run fourth that included an RBI groundout by Michael Bourn.
Maholm picked up his first win in six lifetime starts versus the Padres ... Uggla and Heyward both walked twice ... The Padres have dropped three of four ... San Diego left fielder Carlos Quentin went 2-for-2 with a walk. He was also hit by a pitch.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
Aug 15 9:57 PM
- Jason Heyward doubled to right scored Paul Maholm and Martin Prado. Runner on second with two outs and Freddie Freeman due up.
Padres 1, Braves 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 15 8:37 PM
- Michael Bourn grounded out pitcher to second to first scored Paul Janish. On the play, Paul Maholm advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Martin Prado due up.
Padres 1, Braves 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 15 8:32 PM
- Dan Uggla two-out, three-run Home Run (15) to left scored Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman. Juan Francisco due up.
Padres 1, Braves 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 15 8:07 PM
- Logan Forsythe two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Chase Headley due up.
Padres 1, Braves 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 15 7:54 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 15 7:10 PM
- Padres club Nationals 9:53p
- Braves overtake Dodgers with late surge 8:05p
- Haren, Cashner face off in San Diego 9:28a
- Minor attempts to pitch Braves to sweep of Dodgers 9:27a
- Padres capitalize on error, edge Nats Sun
- Late homers rally Braves past Dodgers Sun
- Braves' O'Flaherty lands on DL Sat
- Zimmermann vies to become majors' first 8-game winner in San Diego Sat
- Braves rely on Medlen, as they resume series with the Dodgers Sat
- Nats edge Padres in 10 innings Sat
- Upton slams Braves to win over Dodgers Sat
- Braves activate Heyward Fri