Garcia, Yankees aim to extend win streak at White SoxAug 20, 2012 - 2:55 PM
These teams split four games in the Bronx earlier in the year, but the Yankees have won their last six in Chicago. It is New York's longest active road winning streak over a single opponent as well as Chicago's longest active home skid against any foe.
And that streak could be extended tonight with Garcia on the hill. The veteran right-hander, who helped the White Sox to a World Series title in 2005, has won his last three starts and defeated the Texas Rangers on Wednesday, holding them to two runs and four hits in 6 2/3 innings to improve to 7-5, while lowering his ERA to 4.68.
Since rejoining the Yankees' rotation in July, the 35-year-old has posted a 5-3 mark with a 3.69 ERA. In eight of his nine starts over that stretch, he has allowed three runs or less.
"Ever since he came back from the bullpen, he's been tremendous," Yankees catcher Russell Martin said after that game. "I think part of it is he's gotten his velocity back. When his velocity is up, his pitches are a little sharper and a little crisper."
Garcia has faced the White Sox 12 times and is 5-5 with a 4.46 ERA.
New York won for the fifth time in seven chances on Sunday, as Ichiro Suzuki hit a pair of solo homers, Hiroki Kuroda tossed eight strong innings and the Yankees beat the Boston Red Sox, 4-1.
Kuroda (12-8) gave up just one run on four hits while striking out four for the Yankees, who went 5-2 on a seven-game homestand. The Japanese right-hander was coming off a two-hit shutout in Tuesday's 3-0 win over Texas.
With Kuroda picking up the victory, the Yankees have three pitchers with at least 12 wins (also Phil Hughes and CC Sabathia) prior to Sept. 1 for the first time since 2006 when Chien-Ming Wang, Randy Johnson and Mike Mussina accomplished the feat.
Curtis Granderson knocked in a run and walked twice for the American League East-leading Yankees, who hold a five-game edge on the Tampa Bay Rays in the division.
While New York is cruising, Chicago is struggling and returns home tonight after a three-game sweep at the hands of the Kansas City Royals that culminated with a 5-2 setback on Sunday.
The White Sox, who didn't get their first hit until there were two outs in the seventh inning, were out-hit 11-3 in the loss and finished a seven-game road trip 3-4. Chicago still leads the AL Central by 1 1/2 games.
"It's absolutely disappointing," catcher A.J. Pierzynski said about the three losses to the Royals. "It's frustrating. It's brutal. I expect us to play better."
Tonight, Chicago will turn to righty Gavin Floyd, who is 9-9 with a 4.43 ERA. Floyd beat the Toronto Blue Jays on Wednesday, as he held them to four runs (3 earned) and eight hits in six innings.
"Gavin came out throwing strikes," manager Robin Ventura said after the game. "He was great early on. He made the one mistake to Johnson, but he pitched great. He looked good."
Floyd lost to the Yankees back on July 1 and is 2-3 in eight games (7 starts) with a 6.07 ERA.
- NEW YORK: 6
Aug 20 11:55 PM
- Adam Dunn one-out, solo Home Run (36) to left. Paul Konerko due up.
Yankees 6, White Sox 9 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 20 11:40 PM
- Gordon Beckham walked. Runner on first with two outs and DeWayne Wise due up.
Yankees 6, White Sox 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 20 11:26 PM
- Gordon Beckham lead-off Home Run (12) to right. DeWayne Wise due up.
Yankees 6, White Sox 6 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 20 10:55 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Casey McGehee single to left scored Robinson Cano with two out. On the play, Mark Teixeira advances to second. Runners on first and second and Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 6, White Sox 5 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 20 10:51 PM
- Mark Teixeira single to center scored Nick Swisher with one out. Runners on first and second and Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 5, White Sox 5 Top 6, 1 OutAug 20 10:43 PM
- Nick Swisher walked. Runner on first with one out and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 4, White Sox 5 Top 6, 1 OutAug 20 10:34 PM
- Dayan Viciedo single to right scored Alex Rios with two out. On the play, A.J. Pierzynski advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alexei Ramirez due up.
Yankees 3, White Sox 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 20 10:26 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski single to center scored Adam Dunn with two out. On the play, Alex Rios advances to third. Runners on first and third and Dayan Viciedo due up.
Yankees 3, White Sox 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 20 10:23 PM
- Alex Rios grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Kevin Youkilis with two out. On the play, Paul Konerko out at second and Adam Dunn advances to third. Runners on first and third and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Yankees 3, White Sox 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 20 10:19 PM
- Adam Dunn walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Paul Konerko due up.
Yankees 3, White Sox 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 20 10:09 PM
- Curtis Granderson single to right scored Nick Swisher with two out. On the play, Robinson Cano out at home, right to catcher to end the inning.
Yankees 3, White Sox 0 Mid 2Aug 20 8:52 PM
- Eric Chavez grounded into a fielder's choice, short to third scored Robinson Cano with two out. On the play, Curtis Granderson advances to second and Mark Teixeira out at third. Runners on first and second and Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 2, White Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 20 8:27 PM
- Mark Teixeira single to center scored Derek Jeter with one out. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to third. Runners on first and third and Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 1, White Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 20 8:22 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 20 8:10 PM
- Buchholz, Red Sox down ChiSox Thu
- O's swamp Yankees with early offense Thu
- Yankees' Kuroda gets ball in rubber match with Orioles Wed
- Red Sox try to avoid the brooms in Chicago Wed
- Quintana, ChiSox shut down Red Sox Wed
- McLouth's blast in the 10th lifts O's over Yankees Wed
- Sale will not pitch on Wednesday Tue
- Red Sox hope to bounce back against White Sox Tue
- Yankees send Hughes to hill at Camden Yards Tue
- Dunn, White Sox hand Boston's Lester first loss Tue
- Johnson blows third straight save as Yanks top O's Tue
- Orioles hope to end slide in matchup with CC, Yanks Mon