Late TD lifts Cleveland past ColumbusMar 16, 2008 - 4:51 AM COLUMBUS, Ohio (Ticker) -- Raymond Philyaw threw five touchdown passes and added a rushing score to lead the Cleveland Gladiators to a 59-57 victory over the Columbus Destroyers on Saturday.
Philyaw threw a 17-yard TD pass to Robert Redd with 43 seconds to play to give Cleveland a 59-51 lead.
Marlion Jackson ran for 42 yards and two TDs on eight carries for the Gladiators (3-0).
Matt Nagy completed 24-of-35 passes for 351 yards and seven TDs for Columbus (0-3). He connected with Derek Lee for a 33-yard score with 22 seconds to play, but his two-point conversion pass fell incomplete.
Lee had 11 catches for 171 yards and three TDs. Rasheed Marshall and Harold Wells each had two touchdown receptions for the Destroyers.
COLUMBUS 57 FINAL
Gladiators 59, Destroyers 57 FinalMar 15 9:51 PM
COLUMBUS 38 END, 3RD QTR
Gladiators 42, Destroyers 38 End of 3rdMar 15 9:12 PM
COLUMBUS 31 HALFTIME
Gladiators 23, Destroyers 31 HalfMar 15 8:46 PM
COLUMBUS 10 END, 1ST QTR
Gladiators 14, Destroyers 10 End of 1stMar 15 7:44 PM
- Eight TDs by D'Orazio lead Soul to first ArenaBowl Jul 12
- Philyaw, Gladiators top Force Jul 8
- Gladiators outlast Predators in playoffs Jul 1
- Philyaw fuels Gladiators past Destroyers Jun 22
- Soul pick off Gladiators Jun 15
- MacPherson propels Rampage past Destroyers Jun 15
- Greisen leads Force to sixth straight win Jun 8
- Philyaw, Amey carry Gladiators past Rush Jun 8
- Desperados clinch playoff spot Jun 1
- Wimprine vaults VooDoo past Destroyers May 31
- Nagy uses arm, legs to help Destroyers upend Dragons May 24
- Dietz tosses six touchdowns as Storm defeat Gladiators May 23