Calgary takes down SaskatchewanJul 31, 2011 - 7:13 AM
Burris had 47 yards on the ground on four carries and went 24-for-36 for 255 yards and an interception for the Stampeders (3-2), who have gotten all their wins on the road this year.
Darian Durant was 16-for-28 with 215 yards and a passing and rushing touchdown and Weston Dressler caught six passes for 103 yards and a touchdown for the Roughriders (1-4), who have dropped all three of their home matches this season.
"I just think Calgary did a little better job of taking advantage of opportunities whether it was field position or moving the sticks," Saskatchewan head coach Greg Marshall said. "We missed some tackles and dropped some passes. We missed a block where we could have had more yardage. I liked our effort, they worked together and supported one another."
The only points of the first quarter belonged to Calgary as a 34-yard field goal from Paredes gave the team a 3-0 lead with about 3 1/2 minutes left in the frame.
An eight-yard touchdown run from Burris just over three minutes into the second staked the Stampeders to a 10-0 lead, but the Roughriders answered on their next drive thanks to a nine-yard run from Durant halfway through the frame.
After a single from Eddie Johnson, Calgary got a 45-yard field goal as time expired to take a 13-8 lead into the locker room.
Saskatchewan took its first lead of the game just 58 seconds into the second half when Durant hit Dressler on a 58-yard score.
The Stampeders, though, got a safety, 32-yard field goal from Paredes and single from Paredes for a 19-15 lead heading into the fourth quarter.
Johnson hit a 19-yard field goal moments into the fourth quarter to make it a one-point contest, but Paredes connected from 47 yards out with just over four minutes to play for a 22-18 lead.
After stopping the Roughriders, Calgary was able to kill off most of the clock.
Saskatchewan got the ball back with 11 seconds to play, but were unable to get close to the end zone.
"At the end of the game, all three phases of our football team really helped secure the win," Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel said. "Offensively, the get the ball out from the shadows of our goalpost, our defense going on the field forcing the punt, our offense going back out again and using the clock up and the special teams punting and our coverage keeping it down (deep in Saskatchewan territory) so that was it almost impossible with 10 seconds left for them to do something."
Calgary looks for its first home win of the season next Saturday versus Hamilton...Nikolas Lewis had six catches for 90 yards in the win for the Stampeders...Saskatchewan plays at British Columbia on Friday...Calgary has taken three of the past four games against Saskatchewan.
- CALGARY: 22
Jul 31 2:04 AM
- CALGARY: 22
End of Regulation
Jul 31 2:04 AM
- Calgary Field Goal - 47-yarder by Rene Paredes.
Stampeders 22, Roughriders 18 4th - 4:10Jul 31 2:04 AM
- Saskatchewan Field Goal - 19-yarder by Eddie Johnson.
Stampeders 19, Roughriders 18 4th - 14:47Jul 30 11:46 PM
- CALGARY: 19
End of 3rd
Jul 30 11:44 PM
- Calgary Single - 50-yarder by Rene Paredes.
Stampeders 19, Roughriders 15 3rd - 4:23Jul 30 11:36 PM
- Calgary Field Goal - 32-yarder by Rene Paredes.
Stampeders 18, Roughriders 15 3rd - 8:31Jul 30 11:27 PM
- Calgary Safety - Eddie Johnson conceded in the end zone for a safety.
Stampeders 15, Roughriders 15 3rd - 11:00Jul 30 11:21 PM
- Eddie Johnson extra point is good.
Stampeders 13, Roughriders 15 3rd - 14:02Jul 30 11:10 PM
- Saskatchewan Touchdown - Darian Durant pass to Weston Dressler for 58 yards.
Stampeders 13, Roughriders 14 3rd - 14:02Jul 30 11:09 PM
- CALGARY: 13
Jul 30 10:51 PM
- Calgary Single - 53-yarder by Eddie Johnson.
Stampeders 10, Roughriders 8 2nd - 4:22Jul 30 10:37 PM
- CALGARY: 10
2nd Quarter - 7:29
Stampeders 10, Roughriders 7 2nd - 7:29Jul 30 10:31 PM
- Saskatchewan Touchdown - Darian Durant rushed for 9 yards.
Stampeders 10, Roughriders 6 2nd - 7:53Jul 30 10:28 PM
- Rene Paredes extra point is good.
Stampeders 10, Roughriders 0 2nd - 11:55Jul 30 10:17 PM
- Calgary Touchdown - Henry Burris rushed for 8 yards.
Stampeders 9, Roughriders 0 2nd - 11:55Jul 30 10:17 PM
- CALGARY: 3
End of 1st
Jul 30 10:10 PM
- Calgary Field Goal - 34-yarder by Rene Paredes.
Stampeders 3, Roughriders 0 1st - 3:41Jul 30 10:02 PM
- CALGARY: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Jul 30 9:40 PM
- Calgary comes calling on Montreal Jul 1
- Argos and Riders square off in Week 2 action Jul 1
- Harris, Fuller, Willy named top performers for Week 1 Jun 30
- Blue Bombers down Roughriders Jun 27
- Paredes lifts Stamps past Tiger-Cats in Grey Cup rematch Jun 27
- Roughriders host Blue Bombers to open new season Jun 24
- Hamilton and Calgary meet in Grey Cup rematch Jun 24
- Stampeders QB Mitchell signs through 2018 Mar 3
- Riders keep WR Dressler with 4-year extension Jan 30
- Riders pick up Watson from Bombers Jan 29
- Stampeders' Hufnagel named top CFL coach Jan 21
- Stampeders sign Wall to extension Jan 20