for this game

Blue Bombers close out Canad Inns Stadium with victory

Nov 3, 2012 - 10:46 PM Winnipeg, MB (Sports Network) - In the final game at Canad Inns Stadium, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers ended their season on a high note with a 19-11 win over the Montreal Alouettes.

Even though it will not see playoff action, Winnipeg (6-12) was able to close out its building with an impressive win over the Eastern Division champions. With both Buck Pierce and Joey Elliot out due to injury, the Bombers turned to Alex Brink to start the game at quarterback, who finished 16-of-25 passing with 144 yards and an interception. Justin Goltz closed the game out under center, completing 3-of-5 passes for 30 yards, adding 32 yards rushing, and scoring the team's only major on a six-yard run in the fourth quarter. Chris Matthews led all receivers with six receptions.

With its playoff position locked up, Montreal (11-7) opted to sit quarterback Anthony Calvillo and roll with backup Adrian McPherson, who completed 17-of-26 passes for 193 yards and also racked up 102 yards and a score rushing. Chris Jennings caught five passes for 60 yards and added another 56 yards rushing.

The Alouettes got the scoring started on their first possession with a 17-yard field goal off the foot of Sean Whyte to take an early 3-0 lead.

After forcing the Bombers to punt on their first drive, Montreal made it 10-0 later in the first quarter following a five-yard touchdown run from McPherson, which capped off an 11-play, 73-yard drive.

Winnipeg cut into its deficit early in the second quarter on a 24-yard field goal from Justin Palardy. The only other scores in the first half came on a pair of Bombers' singles, as Montreal took a 10-5 lead into halftime.

The Bombers continued to chip away at the lead after intermission. Palardy connected on a 41-yard field goal midway through the third quarter to get Winnipeg to within two, 10-8.

The Alouettes offense remained stagnant throughout the third quarter. It wasn't much, but a Whyte punt landed in the end zone for a single to extend their lead to 11-8 heading into the fourth quarter.

Following a 70-yard punt return by Jovon Johnson early in the fourth quarter, Winnipeg took its first lead of the game, 15-11, on a six-yard major by Goltz. The Bombers padded their lead later in the frame on a 38-yard field goal from Palardy.

Winnipeg added another point in the final minute of the game. Montreal was left with less than 30 seconds to try and tie the game but it could not cross midfield as the Bombers held on for the comeback win.

Game Notes

McPherson made his first start of the season and came into the game with just five pass attempts on the year...McPherson's rushing touchdown was his ninth of the season, third-most in the league...Palardy extended his streak of consecutive field goals made to 13 before missing a 49-yard attempt in the second quarter...Henoc Muamba had a game-high 10 tackles and also recorded a sack.