Behrendorff out of time for BBL return

Jan 14, 2017 - 6:01 PM Perth Scorchers coach Justin Langer says it's highly unlikely paceman Jason Behrendorff will be able to make a comeback in time for the BBL finals.

Behrendorff was hopeful of making a return from a broken leg at the tail-end of the BBL season.

But Langer has all but ruled out the prospect of having Behrendorff available, with the 26-year-old still working his way back to full fitness.

"He's doing everything he can. But at this stage, I'd be surprised if he plays," Langer said.

"He tried to have a bowl on Friday. He's still a bit sore.

"He's been doing a bit of running. He bowled a bit last week. He bowled off about 80 per cent. Finals are only nine days away."

Perth's finals hopes hang in the balance following Saturday night's seven-wicket loss to the Melbourne Stars at the WACA Ground.

Four teams are now locked on four wins, with the third-placed Scorchers (4-3) needing to win their final match against the Hurricanes in Hobart in order to secure a finals berth.

Captain Adam Voges (hamstring) is a chance to return against the Hurricanes on Saturday.

The Scorchers' top-order was badly exposed against the Stars, with Perth slumping to 4-13 in the fourth over before finishing at a substandard 7-134.

The ongoing poor form of opener Shaun Marsh has become a concern for the Scorchers, with the 33-year-old averaging just 11 in six BBL knocks since returning from a broken finger.

"Shaun's struggling," Langer said.

"That just goes to show, when you have a bit of time out of the game, it's not that easy to walk straight back into T20 cricket.

"He got 100 in club cricket last week.

"He's been a bit unlucky. He's got to watch the ball closely, and get ready for Hobart."

Source: AAP






No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!