Cubs get to Cordero, win in ninthMay 7, 2011 - 11:52 PM
Chicago scored both runs off Francisco Cordero (2-1), who recorded his first blown save of the season.
Blake DeWitt crossed the plate on Fukudome's hit and also homered for the Cubs, who dropped the opener of this three-game series, 5-4, on Friday.
Drew Stubbs and Fred Lewis drove in runs in the seventh for the Reds, who had won three in a row.
They sent Cordero to the mound to get the final three outs, but he gave up the lead after just one pitch. Pena took a slider low before hammering a fastball to right field, making it a 2-2 contest.
"Getting my first homer here at Wrigley is definitely special," said Pena, who signed with the Cubs in the offseason. "For it to be that way, give ourselves a chance to win that game, it makes it just that much better."
Two batters later, DeWitt singled to center and moved to third on Jeff Baker's ground-rule double with two outs. Fukudome followed by singling up the middle, allowing DeWitt to easily score the game-winning run.
"That's a tough one to lose right there," said Reds manager Dusty Baker. "Especially the way we played all day, and got some clutch hits in that one inning."
DeWitt gave the Cubs their first lead in the fourth inning, when he smacked a solo shot to right with two away.
But that was the only run given up by Cincinnati starter Bronson Arroyo, who allowed seven hits, walked two and struck out three in 7 1/3 innings.
Chicago starter Casey Coleman held the Reds off the scoreboard for six innings, but started the seventh by walking Chris Heisey and allowing a base hit to Ryan Hanigan.
Kerry Wood then entered with runners on the corners, and Lewis, pinch-hitting, grounded a ball to short. Darwin Barney opted for the force out at second base as Heisey crossed the plate.
Lewis moved to second on a sacrifice bunt, then scored on Stubbs' single to center, making it a 2-1 game.
While Coleman was responsible for both runs, he still turned in his best start of the season. He hadn't made it through the sixth in any of his four previous outings. The right-hander gave up four hits, walked three and struck out a career-high six.
The Cubs bullpen was also strong. After Wood recorded the final out of the seventh, James Russell walked Joey Votto to begin the eighth, but retired the next two batters.
Marcos Mateo (1-1) came in and retired Heisey on a pop out, then tossed a perfect top of the ninth.
Fukudome and Pena both finished with three hits...Votto went 0-for-2 but walked twice. He has reached base in all 33 games this season, and is one shy of tying the Reds' modern record to begin a season. Dave Collins reached base in 34 consecutive games to start 1981...The Reds' Johnny Cueto is set to make his season debut Sunday, opposing the Cubs' Ryan Dempster. Cueto has been out with right biceps/triceps irritation, and went 0-2 with a 6.28 ERA in four rehab starts at Triple-A Louisville.
- CINCINNATI: 2
May 7 7:19 PM
- Kosuke Fukudome singled to center scoring Blake DeWitt with two outs to end the game.
Reds 2, Cubs 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 7 7:19 PM
- Carlos Pena lead-off Home Run (3) to right-center. Geovany Soto is due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 2 Bot 9, 0 OutsMay 7 7:19 PM
- Drew Stubbs singled to center scoring Fred Lewis.. Runner on first with two outs and Edgar Renteria due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 1 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 7 7:18 PM
- Pinch-hitter Fred Lewis's fielder's choice, short to second scored Chris Heisey. Ryan Hanigan out at second. Runner on first with one out and Bronson Arroyo due up.
Reds 1, Cubs 1 Top 7, 1 OutMay 7 7:18 PM
- Blake DeWitt two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Tyler Colvin is due up.
Reds 0, Cubs 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 7 7:18 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 1:13 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21