Cubs beat up on CardinalsMay 12, 2011 - 6:11 AM Chicago Cubs used a big third inning following a rain delay to rout the Cardinals, 11-4, in the middle contest of a three-game series.
Cubs offseason trade acquisition Matt Garza (2-4) fanned seven batters over five innings to get the win. The right-hander gave up three hits and a run, and walked three batters.
"I was glad we could get five out of him," Cubs manager Mike Quade said of Garza, who pitched following a lengthy rain delay.
Carlos Pena, Alfonso Soriano and Koyie Hill each drove in two runs as part of the 17-hit attack. The Cubs, who scored six times in the third, snapped a two- game skid.
Albert Pujols singled in a pair for St. Louis, which had won four of five.
Jake Westbrook (2-3) was tagged for six hits and five runs in 2 1/3 innings to suffer the loss.
"[Westbrook] didn't have it after the break," Cardinals interim manager Joe Pettini said. "He had a tough outing."
Ryan Theriot's infield single scored Nick Punto in the top of the third, but the Cubs sent 10 men to the plate after a 53-minute rain delay in the bottom half at Wrigley Field.
Aramis Ramirez singled with the bases loaded to tie the game and Pena followed with a two-run double to left. Jason Motte entered from the bullpen, but Castro greeted him with a two-run base hit to center. Castro advanced to third on Colby Rasmus' fielding error and then came home on Soriano's single.
Chicago added four more in the fifth, on RBI triples from Castro and Hill, a run-scoring base hit from Soriano and an RBI groundout from pinch-hitter Tyler Colvin.
Run-scoring hits from Rasmus and Pujols got the Cardinals within 10-4 in the seventh, but Hill doubled in Castro in the bottom of the inning.
The Cubs committed one error, but they have just two over their last 13 games...Chicago reliever Sean Marshall has a 0.60 ERA in his first 16 relief appearances to begin the season...Jeff Samardzija was charged with four hits and three runs over 1 2/3 innings for the Cubs. Before Wednesday he had thrown a season-high 14 consecutive scoreless innings...Garza got his first career win (1-4) against the NL Central.
- ST. LOUIS: 4
May 12 12:10 AM
- Tyler Colvin struck out swinging. Runner on second with two outs and Justin Berg due up.
Cardinals 4, Cubs 11 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 11 11:42 PM
- Albert Pujols singled to left scored Nick Punto and Ryan Theriot. On the play, Colby Rasmus advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 4, Cubs 10 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 11 11:30 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Tyler Colvin grounded out short to first scored Koyie Hill. None on with one out and Kosuke Fukudome due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 10 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 11 10:57 PM
- Tyler Colvin is pinch-hitting for Matt Garza.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 9 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 11 10:54 PM
- Alfonso Soriano singled to center scored Starlin Castro. Runner on first with none out and Koyie Hill due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 8 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 11 10:52 PM
- Starlin Castro tripled to right scored Carlos Pena. Runner on third with none out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 7 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 11 10:51 PM
- Alfonso Soriano singled to center scored Starlin Castro. Runner on first with one out and Koyie Hill due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 6 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 11 10:07 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to center scored Aramis Ramirez and Carlos Pena. On the play, Castro advances to third on Colby Rasmus' fielding error. Runner on third with one out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 5 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 11 10:05 PM
- Carlos Pena doubled to left scored Darwin Barney and Marlon Byrd. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Starlin Castro due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 3 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 11 10:01 PM
- Aramis Ramirez singled to left scored Kosuke Fukudome. On the play, Marlon Byrd advances to second and Darwin Barney advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Carlos Pena due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 11 9:59 PM
- Ryan Theriot infield singled to pitcher scored Nick Punto. On the play, Daniel Descalso advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Colby Rasmus due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 11 8:56 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 8:10 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21