Byrd's homer lifts Cubs over MarlinsMay 19, 2011 - 4:33 AM
Reed Johnson added a pinch-hit, two-run home run while Koyie Hill was 3-for-3 with three runs scored for the Cubs, who snapped a three-game slide. Ryan Dempster lasted just five innings in the start and was charged with five runs on eight hits. Jeff Samardzija (3-0) worked two scoreless innings for the win.
"Hopefully this win takes a little bit of the pressure off," said Hill. "We expect a lot of ourselves this season and sometimes that can take the fun out of the game."
Hanley Ramirez hit a solo home run and scored twice while Greg Dobbs belted a two-run double for the Marlins, who have dropped two of three. Ricky Nolasco was tagged for five runs -- four earned -- on nine hits over six innings while Edward Mujica (4-2) got the loss.
With the score tied in the eighth, Byrd led off with a shot over the left field wall. Later in the inning, Jeff Baker provided an insurance run when his fielder's choice groundout scored Tony Campana for a 7-5 advantage.
Carlos Marmol, who got the final out of the eighth, gave up a leadoff double to Logan Morrison in the ninth. However, he set down the next three batters in order for his ninth save of the season.
The Marlins got on the board in the first on a solo home run from Ramirez, but the Cubs got it back in the third.
Hill led off with a single and moved to second on Dempster's sac bunt. Another single from Kosuke Fukudome moved Hill to third and he came home on Darwin Barney's groundout.
In the fifth, the Cubs got two more runs across to take the lead. With runners on first and third, a sac fly from Barney scored one. Starlin Castro followed with a single to left that hopped in front of Morrison, who misread the hit and allowed the ball to get past him. Fukudome scored on the play for a 3-1 advantage.
However, Florida surged ahead in the bottom of the inning. With men on the corners and two outs, Gaby Sanchez brought one home with a single. Dobbs followed with a two-run double for the lead and Mike Stanton made it a 5-3 game with an RBI single.
The Cubs, though, tied the game in the sixth on a two-out, two-run homer from Johnson, his second of the season.
"You know he comes off the bench for them and gives them a big boost," said Nolasco. "I had to make a pitch to him and had bad location on it. A good hitter like him will make you pay for your mistakes."
Chicago took four of six from Florida last season...Chris Volstad pitches for Florida on Thursday while Casey Coleman will throw for the Cubs...Florida batted 4-for-12 with runners in scoring position, but left 10 men on base.
- CHICAGO: 7
May 18 10:32 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jeff Baker grounded into a fielder's choice scored Tony Campana.. Runner on first with one out and Kosuke Fukudome due up.
Cubs 7, Marlins 5 Top 8, 1 OutMay 18 9:56 PM
- Marlon Byrd lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 6, Marlins 5 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 18 9:49 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Reed Johnson two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Koyie Hill. Kosuke Fukudome due up.
Cubs 5, Marlins 5 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 18 9:10 PM
- Mike Stanton singled to left scored Greg Dobbs.. Runner on first with two outs and John Buck due up.
Cubs 3, Marlins 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 18 9:02 PM
- Greg Dobbs doubled to center scored Hanley Ramirez and Gaby Sanchez. Runner on second with two outs and Mike Stanton due up.
Cubs 3, Marlins 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 18 9:02 PM
- Gaby Sanchez singled to left scored Ricky Nolasco. On the play, Hanley Ramirez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Greg Dobbs due up.
Cubs 3, Marlins 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 18 8:59 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to left scored, advances to second on Logan Morrison's fielding error. On the play, Kosuke Fukudome scored. Runner on second with two outs and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cubs 3, Marlins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 18 8:42 PM
- Darwin Barney sacrifice fly out to right scored Koyie Hill. Runner on first with two outs and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 2, Marlins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 18 8:39 PM
- Darwin Barney grounded out to first scored Koyie Hill. On the play, Kosuke Fukudome advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 1, Marlins 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 18 7:54 PM
- Hanley Ramirez one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Logan Morrison due up.
Cubs 0, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 18 7:21 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21