Cubs pound MetsMay 27, 2011 - 2:24 AM
Zambrano (5-2) picked up his first victory in four starts after allowing two runs -- one earned -- on six hits and two walks, striking out five. He knocked in the eventual game-winning run with a single in Chicago's four-run fourth and also doubled and scored a run in the sixth.
Carlos Pena hit a two-run homer and Kosuke Fukudome added a solo blast for the Cubs, who won two of three in the series.
Mets starter R.A. Dickey left the game with right heel pain after he fell running to cover first base in the third inning. Pedro Beato (1-1) relieved him and took the loss in 1 1/3 innings.
Daniel Murphy had three hits for the Mets, who have lost four of their last five.
After Wednesday's game -- a 7-4 New York win -- was shortened to seven innings by rain, the start of Thursday's finale was delayed 31 minutes because of weather.
"It was cold, wet and damp, but you have to get through it," Cubs manager Mike Quade said.
The Mets took a 1-0 lead in the third when Jose Reyes stretched his double into a run after throwing errors by Fukudome in right field and Darwin Barney's relay throw from second to third.
But they lost Dickey on a bizarre play in the bottom of the inning. He didn't originally move to cover first base on a ground ball by Fukudome to the right side. But when Murphy was pulled off the bag, Dickey started to run.
The knuckleballer took just a few steps before tumbling to the grass in between the mound and first base. He was helped to his feet after several minutes and tried to walk it off, but was unable to continue.
"When I saw Murphy go to get the ball, it kind of took me by surprise and I started up again," said Dickey. "When I did, I felt a real pronounced burning sensation in my heel and just involuntarily went down."
The Cubs then took a 4-1 lead in the fourth. Starlin Castro drew a leadoff walk and Pena launched Beato's 2-1 pitch into the right field bleachers. Alfonso Soriano singled and scored later on a ground out and Zambrano added an RBI single.
Jason Pridie tripled leading off the fifth and scored on Josh Thole's two-out single to get New York within 4-2. But the Cubs scored two more runs in the bottom of the inning against Pat Misch.
The inning could have ended without a run, but Reyes let a potential double play grounder get past him in the hole. Soriano knocked in both runs with a double to the left-center field wall to make it 6-2.
Zambrano doubled against Misch to lead off the sixth and scored later when Barney greeted new reliever Taylor Buchholz with a sacrifice fly. In the seventh, Blake DeWitt doubled and scored later on a wild pitch by Tim Byrdak.
Justin Turner hit an RBI ground out in the top of the eighth for New York, and Fukudome belted his first homer of the season off Jason Isringhausen in the bottom of the inning to make it 9-3.
In a trade Thursday, the Cubs acquired right-handed pitcher Rodrigo Lopez from the Braves for left-handed pitcher Ryan Buchter...Beato was charged with four runs -- three earned -- on four hits and two walks...Before he was hurt, Dickey picked off Tony Campana at first base in the third...Fukudome hit at least 10 homers in each of his first three seasons...The Mets are headed back to New York for a 10-game homestand that starts Friday against the Phillies...The Cubs continue their nine-game homestand against the Pirates this weekend.
- NEW YORK: 3
May 26 5:58 PM
- Kosuke Fukudome lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Darwin Barney due up.
Mets 3, Cubs 9 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 26 5:37 PM
- Justin Turner grounded out second to first scoring Jason Bay. On the play, Daniel Murphy advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Tim Byrdak due up.
Mets 3, Cubs 8 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 26 5:33 PM
- Tim Byrdak's wild pitch scored Blake DeWitt. Tony Campana advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second with two outs and Lou Montanez at the plate.
Mets 2, Cubs 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 26 5:21 PM
- Darwin Barney sacrifice fly out to center scored Carlos Zambrano. Runner on first with one out and Starlin Castro due up.
Mets 2, Cubs 7 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 26 4:53 PM
- Alfonso Soriano doubled to left scored Carlos Pena and Blake DeWitt. Runner on second with one out and Tony Campana due up.
Mets 2, Cubs 6 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 26 4:28 PM
- Josh Thole singled to left scoring Jason Pridie. On the play, Jose Reyes advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Carlos Beltran due up.
Mets 2, Cubs 4 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 26 4:17 PM
- Carlos Zambrano singled to right scoring Tony Campana. Runner on first with two outs and Kosuke Fukudome due up.
Mets 1, Cubs 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 26 3:59 PM
- Koyie Hill grounded out second to first scoring Alfonso Soriano. On the play, Tony Campana advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Carlos Zambrano due up.
Mets 1, Cubs 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 26 3:59 PM
- Carlos Pena none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Starlin Castro. Blake DeWitt due up.
Mets 1, Cubs 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 26 3:52 PM
- NOTE: Mets starter R.A. Dickey left the game with an injured ankle.
Mets 1, Cubs 0 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 26 3:36 PM
- Pedro Beato enters the game for the Mets with runners on first and second and two out.
Mets 0, Cubs 0 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 26 3:35 PM
- Jose Reyes doubled to right. On the play, Reyes advanced to third on Kosuke Fukudome's throwing error. On the play, Darwin Barney's error scored Jose Reyes. None on with one out and Josh Thole due up.
Mets 1, Cubs 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 26 3:27 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 26 2:52 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21