Cubs survive blown save, snap Giants' streak at 7Jun 30, 2011 - 4:26 AM
Cubs starter Ryan Dempster retired 20 straight batters until the ninth inning, but was lifted after surrendering a leadoff double to left-center off the bat of Pat Burrell. Carlos Marmol couldn't close the door on the win, as Emmanuel Burriss bounced a one-out, RBI single into center field. Campana's throw home was off line and Burriss raced to second.
After an intentional walk to Pablo Sandoval, Campana missed a diving attempt at a catch of an Aubrey Huff hit to right-center.
Marmol (2-2), though, got Cody Ross to ground into a 6-4-3 double play.
In the bottom of the ninth with Sergio Romo (3-1) on the mound, Campana legged out an infield hit, as the ball went past a drawn-in Sandoval at third and shortstop Miguel Tejada's throw to first was late. Reed Johnson put down a sacrifice bunt, and Campana went to third on Geovany Soto's groundout. Ramirez, hitting for Marmol, took a pair of strikes before belting a sinking line drive in front of left fielder Aaron Rowand to win the game.
Dempster, who threw 83 pitches, outdueled two-time NL Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum in what turned out to be a great mound matchup. Dempster allowed three hits and fanned six without walking a batter. Lincecum had nine strikeouts over his seven innings.
"Just a really well-played game," Cubs manager Mike Quade said. "While it's going on, I probably don't enjoy a 2-1 win as much as a 4-0 win, but it sure is exhilarating."
Nate Schierholtz doubled with one out in the second, but Dempster was awesome from that point on.
"Dempster threw a heck of a game," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "We found a way to get a run, but came up short. We tried in the ninth to steal one."
The Cubs broke through in the seventh when Carlos Pena led off with a double to right and Blake DeWitt followed with an RBI single to right.
This was Dempster's 100th victory in a starting role...The Cubs activated infielder Darwin Barney from the 15-day disabled list and granted pitcher Doug Davis his unconditional release Wednesday. Barney, who had been out with a left knee sprain he suffered June 13 against Milwaukee, went 1-for-4.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 1
Jun 29 10:29 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Aramis Ramirez single to left scored Tony Campana with two outs to win the game.
Giants 1, Cubs 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 29 10:29 PM
- Emmanuel Burriss single to center scored Bill Hall with one out. Runner on second and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 1, Cubs 1 Top 9, 1 OutJun 29 10:17 PM
- Blake DeWitt stole second. Runner on second with none out and Alfonso Soriano at the plate.
Giants 0, Cubs 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 29 9:38 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Jun 29 8:08 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21
- Giants shut down by Arrieta in 8-1 loss to Cubs May 21
- Arrieta wins 19th straight decision as Cubs beat Giants 8-1 May 21
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 21