Seventh inning rally lifts White Sox over CubsJul 1, 2011 - 11:09 PM
Alexei Ramirez belted a two-run homer during the rally, which lifted the White Sox out of a 4-2 hole and gave starter Edwin Jackson his first win in six starts.
Jackson (5-6) allowed four runs on five hits and a walk, striking out five in six innings for his first victory since May 22.
Brian Bruney, Jesse Crain and Sergio Santos pitched one scoreless inning apiece, with Santos striking out two in a perfect ninth for his 18th save.
"That was a great effort," Jackson said of the White Sox bullpen. "They came in and shut things down like everybody knows they're capable of doing."
Aramis Ramirez hit a solo home run, the 300th homer of his career, and knocked in two runs for the Cubs.
The White Sox won two of three games against the Cubs at home last week and are 44-38 all-time in the series.
"They had a couple more big hits than we did," said Cubs second baseman Darwin Barney, who hit an RBI double. "That's the way it goes. We gotta come back tomorrow ready to go and try to put ourselves in position to win the series."
Cubs starter Randy Wells (1-3) was knocked out of the game in the seventh and fell to 0-3 in seven starts since coming off the disabled list May 28.
A.J. Pierzynski singled to spark the decisive rally and Alexei Ramirez knocked a hanging slider into the left field bleachers to tie the game at 4-4.
After Alex Rios singled for three straight White Sox hits, Wells got Gordon Beckham on a ground out. But he walked pinch-hitter Adam Dunn (who batted for Jackson) and Pierre smacked a triple into the right field corner to make it 6-4.
Jeff Samardzija got the Cubs out of the inning, retiring two straight, but they had only two baserunners the rest of the way.
A bright spot in the loss was Kerry Wood, who came off the disabled list before the game and pitched a perfect eighth inning, throwing seven of his nine pitches for strikes and reaching the mid-90s with his fastball.
Wood had been sidelined since June 13 with a blister on his right index finger. His activation came alongside starter Carlos Zambrano being placed on the 15-day DL with lower back soreness one day after leaving his start against the Giants.
After the White Sox took a 2-0 lead in the first inning on Paul Konerko's sacrifice fly and Pierzynski's RBI single, the Cubs rallied to take the lead.
Geovany Soto had an RBI ground out in the second, and the Cubs went ahead 3-2 on Barney's RBI double and Aramis Ramirez's sac fly in the third. Ramirez's 11th homer of the season, a one-out blast to left in the sixth, made it 4-2.
Ramirez said it felt good to reach the 300-homer plateau.
"That's something that I worked for. Nobody gave it to me," he said. "But it would have felt a lot better if we won the game."
It was also the first time the White Sox won in Jackson's last six starts...Wells made just one start before going on the DL with a right forearm strain...Alexei Ramirez hit his eighth homer of the season.
- CHICAGO: 6
Jul 1 5:07 PM
- Juan Pierre triple to right scored Alex Rios and Adam Dunn. Runner on third with one out and Brent Morel due up.
White Sox 6, Cubs 4 Top 7, 1 OutJul 1 4:14 PM
- Alexei Ramirez none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored A.J. Pierzynski. Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 4, Cubs 4 Top 7, 0 OutsJul 1 4:07 PM
- Aramis Ramirez one-out, solo Home Run (11) to left. Carlos Pena due up.
White Sox 2, Cubs 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 1 3:58 PM
- Aramis Ramirez sacrifice fly to right scored Darwin Barney. None on with two outs and Carlos Pena due up.
White Sox 2, Cubs 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 1 3:25 PM
- Darwin Barney double to center scored Kosuke Fukudome. Runner on second with none out and Starlin Castro due up.
White Sox 2, Cubs 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 1 3:22 PM
- Geovany Soto ground out third to first scored Carlos Pena. Runner on second with two outs and Randy Wells due up.
White Sox 2, Cubs 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 1 3:01 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski single to center scored Brent Morel. Runner on first with two outs and Alexei Ramirez due up.
White Sox 2, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 1 2:33 PM
- Paul Konerko sacrifice fly to right scored Juan Pierre. On the play, Brent Morel advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
White Sox 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 1 2:31 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 1 2:23 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21