Three-run eighth pushes Fish past CubsJul 17, 2011 - 11:47 PM
Florida starter Chris Volstad went just three innings, allowing four runs on six hits, but the Marlins bullpen pitched six strong innings in relief for the win. Edward Mujica (8-2) was credited with the victory by pitching a perfect seventh inning.
Greg Dobbs went 2-for-4 with a home run and three RBI as the Marlins won for the eighth time in nine games.
Leo Nunez pitched a scoreless ninth to earn his 26th save of the year.
"They're understanding how to win and devoting full attention to the game. And they're having fun," Marlins manager Jack McKeon said of his team's turnaround.
Randy Wells started the game for Chicago and allowed four runs on eight hits and three walks in six frames, but Kerry Wood (1-5) took the loss when he allowed three runs in the eighth.
Aramis Ramirez knocked in two runs for the Cubs, losers in four of their last five contests.
"Hopefully we're going to have guys that keep playing hard because that's really the only chance we have," Cubs outfielder Reed Johnson said.
With the game tied at four in the eighth inning, Wood loaded the bases with two outs after hitting John Buck with a pitch, walking pinch-hitter Wes Helms and allowing an infield single to Emilio Bonifacio. Dobbs stepped up next and was given a free pass on four pitches to bring in Buck. Morrison's liner up the middle brought in two more before Hanley Ramirez was caught looking on a 3-2 fastball to end the inning.
Bonifacio walked to lead off the game and Dobbs followed by hammering a ball over the left-field wall. Two batters later, Hanley Ramirez blasted a solo homer to center field, giving the Marlins a quick three-run advantage.
Chicago answered in the bottom half of the frame with three straight doubles by Johnson, Starlin Castro and Ramirez that resulted in two runs. Volstad settled in to retire the next two batters, but Blake DeWitt then singled into right, scoring Ramirez and tying the game at three.
Geovany Soto and Darwin Barney hit back-to-back singles to start the second and advanced to second and third on a sacrifice bunt by Wells. Johnson came up next and sent a fly ball to center field, scoring Soto and giving the Cubs a 4-3 lead.
The Marlins knotted the game again in the fourth. Mike Stanton worked a one- out walk and Mike Cameron followed with a double to put two men in scoring position. Buck's sinking liner into shallow center field dropped under the glove of a sliding Marlon Byrd and Stanton scored easily. But pinch-hitter Bryan Petersen grounded into an inning-ending, 4-6-3 double-play to limit the damage.
After the second inning, the Cubs did not have another baserunner until Steve Cishek walked Castro with two outs in the bottom of the eighth. Ramirez followed with a double into the right-center gap that went just past Cameron's outstretched glove as he made a diving effort for the ball, scoring Castro. Randy Choate then came in to replace Cishek and induced a weak grounder to first by Carlos Pena to end the inning.
Wells has now given up at least one home run in eight of his 10 starts...Bonifacio extended his career-best 16-game hitting streak with an infield single in the fifth inning...Volstad has an 0-2 record in eight career starts against Chicago.
- FLORIDA: 7
Jul 17 5:28 PM
- Aramis Ramirez double to right center scored Starlin Castro with two outs. Runner on second and Carlos Pena due up.
Marlins 7, Cubs 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 17 5:03 PM
- Logan Morrison single to center scored Wes Helms and Emilio Bonifacio with two outs. On the play, Greg Dobbs advances to second. Runners on first and second and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 7, Cubs 4 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 17 4:48 PM
- Greg Dobbs walk scored Brett Hayes with two outs. Bases loaded and Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 5, Cubs 4 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 17 4:47 PM
- John Buck single to center scored Mike Stanton with one out. On the play, Mike Cameron advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Volstad due up.
Marlins 4, Cubs 4 Top 4, 1 OutJul 17 3:28 PM
- Reed Johnson sacrifice fly to center scored Geovany Soto with two outs. Runner on second and Starlin Castro due up.
Marlins 3, Cubs 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 17 3:04 PM
- Blake DeWitt single to right scored Aramis Ramirez with two outs. On the play, DeWitt thrown out at second, right to first to short to end the inning.
Marlins 3, Cubs 3 End 1Jul 17 2:49 PM
- Aramis Ramirez double to left scored Starlin Castro with none out. Runner on second and Carlos Pena due up.
Marlins 3, Cubs 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 17 2:41 PM
- Starlin Castro double to right scored Reed Johnson with none out. Runner on second and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Marlins 3, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 17 2:40 PM
- Hanley Ramirez one-out, solo Home Run (9) to center. Gaby Sanchez due up.
Marlins 3, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 17 2:31 PM
- Greg Dobbs none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Emilio Bonifacio. Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 2, Cubs 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 17 2:27 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 17 2:25 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21