Bogusevic's walkoff slam lifts Astros over CubsAug 17, 2011 - 6:43 AM
Cubs closer Carlos Marmol (2-4) gave up a one-out single to J.B. Shuck, and he moved to second on a wild pitch. Clint Barmes then singled and pinch-hitter Matt Downs worked a walk to load the bases.
Bogusevic ended the game by driving a pitch over the wall in right-center to cap the wild comeback.
"It was quite a thrill. I don't know if I've ever hit a walkoff anything before, so this was a special experience," said the 27-year-old outfielder who was was born in a southwestern suburb of Chicago.
Bogusevic had no idea this was coming, but his own manager thought something special might happen.
"I mean, I called the pitch, but I thought it was going to be (further to the right than it actually landed)," said Astros skipper Brad Mills of the deciding homer. "Obviously it was all him. It was so tremendous."
Aneury Rodriguez (1-4) recorded the final two outs in the top of the ninth.
Jimmy Paredes finished with two doubles and drove in a run for the Astros, who won for only the second time in 12 contests.
Starter Brett Myers allowed six hits and four runs over seven full frames, but was spared his seventh straight negative decision thanks to the unlikely finish.
Tyler Colvin hit a two-run homer and Aramis Ramirez added two hits -- including a solo shot -- and two RBI for the Cubs, who lost for just the fourth time in their last 16 games despite being well out of playoff contention and mired in fifth place in the NL Central.
Chicago hurler Ryan Dempster was on pace to win his fourth consecutive start, going seven innings and yielding just four hits and two runs with three walks while fanning seven.
"This is a tough loss," said Dempster. "You're winning the game and playing so well, but you need to put it behind us and come out tomorrow ready to win."
The visitors gained a pair of runs in the first as Ramirez singled home Starlin Castro and Marlon Byrd grounded into a run-scoring double play.
Jason Bourgeois worked a leadoff walk and scored on a two-out double from Paredes, but Carlos Lee -- who walked in the previous at-bat -- was thrown out trying to score on the hit.
The Cubs extended their lead from 2-1 to 4-1 in the sixth inning as Carlos Pena stroked a leadoff double, moved to third on a groundout and Colvin launched a two-run blast to right.
Shuck began the home seventh with a double and later scored on a Humberto Quintero sacrifice fly, but Wilton Lopez gave that run right back in the eighth as Ramirez greeted him with a shot to left. That appeared to be all Chicago needed to close out the contest.
For Bogusevic, it was his first career grand slam...Myers entered the game with a 12-3 record and 2.12 ERA in 19 lifetime appearances (15 starts) against the Cubs...This was Houston's first grand slam since Lee hit one on July 25 at St. Louis...Marmol suffered his eighth blown save in 36 chances this year.
- CHICAGO: 5
Aug 16 11:05 PM
- Aramis Ramirez lead-off Home Run (22) to left. Carlos Pena due up.
Cubs 5, Astros 2 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 16 10:18 PM
- Humberto Quintero sacrifice fly to right scored J.B. Shuck with two out. None on and Brett Myers due up.
Cubs 4, Astros 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 16 10:13 PM
- Tyler Colvin two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Carlos Pena. Koyie Hill due up.
Cubs 4, Astros 1 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 16 9:54 PM
- Jimmy Paredes double to left scored Jason Bourgeois with two out. On the play, Carlos Lee thrown out at home, left to short to catcher to end the inning.
Cubs 2, Astros 1 End 1Aug 16 8:37 PM
- Alfonso Soriano grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Cubs 2, Astros 0 Mid 1Aug 16 8:18 PM
- Carlos Pena walked. Bases loaded with none out and Marlon Byrd due up.
Cubs 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 16 8:14 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 16 8:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21