Astros edge CubsAug 18, 2011 - 4:02 AM
Brian Bogusevic added a two-run double, and Jose Altuve scored twice for the Astros, who have won two straight after dropping seven in a row.
Bud Norris (6-8) earned the win for Houston after giving up three runs on six hits over five innings.
"I didn't have my best stuff today. I'm just trying to battle, especially this late in the season," said Norris. "I was happy to get through five."
Aramis Ramirez hit a two-run homer, and Geovany Soto added a solo blast in the Cubs' third loss in eight tries.
Casey Coleman (2-5) started in place of the suspended Carlos Zambrano and was pegged with the loss after giving up four runs on 10 hits in just 3 2/3 innings.
"I need to show people that I can go out there and compete. When the league sees you a little bit they are going to make adjustments, so now it's my turn to make some adjustments and start pitching better," Coleman said.
The Astros scored two in the fourth to take the deciding 4-3 lead. J.B. Shuck reached on a fielder's choice before Altuve singled, putting runners on first and second. Coleman then threw a wild pitch, allowing both runners to advance before Downs singled them in one batter later.
The Cubs had a chance to tie the game in the ninth. Darwin Barney led off the frame with a single and then moved to third on a hit-and-run base hit by Ramirez. Tony Campana, who replaced Ramirez on the bases, stole second before Soto grounded into a fielder's choice, catching Barney between third and home. Campana was able to move to third during the run down, but Mark Melancon was able to get Marlon Byrd to ground out to end the game, picking up his 12th save of the season.
Chicago jumped to a 2-0 lead in the third after Ramirez belted his 23rd homer of the year. Barney singled before Ramirez clobbered the first-pitch fastball over the wall in left-center.
After Houston loaded the bases with two outs in the third, Bogusevic laced a hard hit ball down the first base line. Carlos Pena made a diving attempt to stop it, but the ball skipped off the top of his glove and down the line, allowing Altuve and J.D. Martinez to score. That would be all the Astros would get in the inning, as Clint Barmes struck out swinging to end the threat.
The Cubs came back with one more run in the fourth after Soto hit a leadoff homer to left.
Houston is 11-27 in day games this season...Bogusevic has six RBI in his last five at bats...Coleman is the first third-generation pitcher in major league history, his grandfather Joe pitched from 1942-1955 and his father Joe Jr. pitched from 1965-1979, including a stint with the Cubs in 1976...Ramirez has hit safely in seven straight games.
- CHICAGO: 3
Aug 17 5:17 PM
- Matt Downs single to center scored J.B. Shuck and Jose Altuve. On the play, J.D. Martinez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jimmy Paredes due up.
Cubs 3, Astros 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 17 3:44 PM
- Geovany Soto lead-off Home Run (13) to left. Marlon Byrd due up.
Cubs 3, Astros 2 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 17 3:44 PM
- Brian Bogusevic double to right scored Jose Altuve and J.D. Martinez. On the play, Jimmy Paredes advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Clint Barmes due up.
Cubs 2, Astros 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 17 3:44 PM
- Aramis Ramirez two-out, two-run Home Run (23) to left scored Darwin Barney. Carlos Pena due up.
Cubs 2, Astros 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 17 3:44 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 17 2:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21