Pena's HR in eighth boosts Cubs over RedsSep 8, 2011 - 5:12 AM
Aramis Ramirez hit a two-run double while D.J. LeMahieu added an RBI single for the Cubs, who have won three of four. Kerry Wood (2-5) got the win for pitching a scoreless eighth while Ryan Dempster went six-plus innings in the start and was touched for three runs and 10 hits.
Yonder Alonso went 3-for-4 with an RBI while Joey Votto had a double, triple, RBI and run scored for the Reds, who have dropped seven of their last 10. Logan Ondrusek (4-5) was handed the loss and Johnny Cueto gave up three runs on seven hits with three strikeouts over seven innings.
"We came back and tied it up, but we just couldn't get over the hump," said Cincinnati manager Dusty Baker. "We had the matchup we wanted, but Pena was able to get a good swing on it."
In the eighth with Ondrusek on the mound, Starlin Castro led off with a single and Ramirez was later issued an intentional pass. Bill Bray then took the mound and Pena greeted him by crushing a ball out of the stadium in right field for a 6-3 lead.
Carlos Marmol then set the Reds down in order in the ninth to pick up his 33rd save of the season.
Alonso drove home Votto, who had earlier tripled, in the first inning for a 1-0 lead.
LeMahieu tied the game in the fifth for the Cubs when his single brought home Pena, who led off the inning with a double.
Ramirez's two-run double in the sixth gave Chicago a 3-1 lead, but a sac fly from Votto in the seventh followed by an RBI double from Bruce tied the game. Alonso, though flied into a double play to end the inning as Edgar Renteria was cut down at the plate on a strong throw from center fielder Reed Johnson to Koyie Hill at home.
"That's game-changing," Dempster said. "That was a big play by Reed, probably the defining moment of the game."
The Cubs play three games in New York against the Mets starting on Friday...Cincinnati starts a three-game series in Colorado on Friday...Cincinnati has won eight of the 14 games against Chicago this season. A four-game set in Chicago from September 12-15 is the last series between the two clubs this season.
- CINCINNATI: 3
Sep 7 10:45 PM
- Carlos Pena one-out, three-run Home Run (26) to right scored Starlin Castro and Aramis Ramirez. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Reds 3, Cubs 6 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 7 10:35 PM
- Jay Bruce double to left scored Brandon Phillips with one out. On the play, Edgar Renteria advances to third. Runners on second and third and Yonder Alonso due up.
Reds 3, Cubs 3 Top 7, 1 OutSep 7 10:06 PM
- Carlos Pena grounded out second to first. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Reds 1, Cubs 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 7 9:49 PM
- DJ LeMahieu single to left scored Carlos Pena with two out. Runner on first and Koyie Hill due up.
Reds 1, Cubs 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 7 9:25 PM
- Yonder Alonso single to center scored Joey Votto with two out. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to second. Runners on first and second and Drew Stubbs due up.
Reds 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 7 8:16 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 7 8:06 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21