Soriano helps Cubs outlast RedsSep 13, 2011 - 5:24 AM
Castro continued his breakout campaign with his ninth home run of the season, one of three hit by the Cubs and one of seven on the night. Aramis Ramirez finished 3-for-5 and hit his 25th home run of the campaign for the Cubs, who have won three straight.
Rodrigo Lopez (5-6) gave up five runs on nine hits with four strikeouts and one walk over 5 1/3 frames, but it was good enough to halt a three-decision losing streak.
Dontrelle Willis (0-6) remained winless on the season after giving up eight runs on nine hits with three walks over 3 1/3 innings. The southpaw didn't strike out a batter for the Reds, who have dropped three in a row and six of nine. Brandon Phillips hit two home runs in the loss.
"He (Willis) didn't have his fastball location," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "The ball wasn't sinking like it usually is. He left some balls up and they hit him pretty hard. They hit everybody pretty hard tonight."
The Cubs put together a string of hits to jump on Willis early. Castro walked and Reed Johnson singled to center before Ramirez drove a run-scoring double that bounced off the rim of the track down the left-field line. Jeff Baker then walked and Soriano's chopper found space between third and shortstop, scoring Johnson. After a force out at home, Geovany Soto's slow roller forced Marlon Byrd at second, but Baker scored for a 3-0 lead.
Cincinnati came back with a pair of tape-measure shots in the second. Juan Francisco drove the ball out of Great American Ball Park, pulling a down-and-in pitch that traveled 502 feet and cleared the right-field stands.
Willis helped himself with a two-out single, giving Phillips a chance, and he delivered with an upper-deck shot for a 3-3 contest.
Chicago again got to Willis in the third, beginning with Baker's opposite- field solo shot to right, and the Cubs extended the frame thanks to Byrd's two-out single. Soto followed with a long drive to left center that bounced off center fielder Dave Sappelt's glove, allowing Byrd to score for a 5-3 game.
Willis was sent to the showers in the fourth, as the Cubs tacked on to their lead. Darwin Barney singled before Willis' wildness continued with a free pass to Lopez. Castro's double to right scored Barney, then after a fielder's choice at the plate, Ramirez chased Willis with an infield hit. After new hurler Jared Burton struck out Baker, Soriano came through with a two-run double down the left-field line for an 8-3 game.
"I expect that," said Soriano. "I believe I can hit with runners in scoring position."
Castro's two-run homer in the top of the fifth pushed the edge to 10-3, and Phillips tried his best to equalize with his second of the game, a solo shot to left in the home half.
Ramirez started the sixth frame with his 25th home run of the season to open an 11-4 edge. Another home run, this one a MLB-first for Devin Mesoraco, made it a six-run game in the home half.
Castro again triggered the offense in the eighth, doubling on a ball off the glove of Yonder Alonso in left and scoring on Johnson's single to center. The Reds scored on a pair of runs in the home half on Francisco's RBI groundout to first and Paul Janish's sacrifice fly.
Joey Votto's RBI double in the ninth capped the scoring.
Castro extended his hitting streak to 13 games and has now reached base safely in 25 straight games..Francisco's home run hit onto Mehring Way...It was the second longest home run in Great American Ball Park history, only behind Adam Dunn's titanic 535-foot shot that landed in the river during a 2004 game against the Dodgers...Votto extended his hitting streak to six games...Phillips recorded his eighth career multi-homer game...Cincinnati still narrowly leads the season series, 8-7.
- CHICAGO: 12
Sep 12 10:21 PM
- Joey Votto double to right scored Brandon Phillips with one out. Runner on second and Jay Bruce due up.
Cubs 12, Reds 8 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 12 10:17 PM
- Paul Janish sacrifice fly to center scored Devin Mesoraco with two out. None on and Jeremy Horst due up.
Cubs 12, Reds 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 12 9:58 PM
- Juan Francisco grounded out to first scoring Yonder Alonso with one out. On the play, Devin Mesoraco advances to third. Runner on third and Paul Janish due up.
Cubs 12, Reds 6 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 12 9:56 PM
- Aramis Ramirez grounded out third to first. On the play, Reed Johnson advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Jeff Baker due up.
Cubs 12, Reds 5 Top 8, 1 OutSep 12 9:45 PM
- Juan Francisco struck out swinging. None on with one out and Paul Janish due up.
Cubs 11, Reds 5 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 12 9:15 PM
- Aramis Ramirez lead-off Home Run (25) to left. Jeff Baker due up.
Cubs 11, Reds 4 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 12 9:04 PM
- Brandon Phillips lead off Home Run 2 (14) to left. Dave Sappelt due up.
Cubs 10, Reds 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 12 8:55 PM
- Starlin Castro two-out, two-run Home Run (9) to center scored Darwin Barney. Reed Johnson due up.
Cubs 10, Reds 3 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 12 8:51 PM
- Alfonso Soriano double to left scored Starlin Castro and Reed Johnson with two out. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to third. Runners on second and third and Marlon Byrd due up.
Cubs 8, Reds 3 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 12 8:28 PM
- Starlin Castro double to right scored Darwin Barney with none out. On the play, Rodrigo Lopez advances to third. Runners on second and third and Reed Johnson due up.
Cubs 6, Reds 3 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 12 8:16 PM
- Geovany Soto double to left scored Marlon Byrd with two out. On the play, Geovany Soto out at third on the throw, left to short to third to end the inning.
Cubs 5, Reds 3 Mid 3Sep 12 7:59 PM
- Jeff Baker one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 3 Top 3, 1 OutSep 12 7:55 PM
- Brandon Phillips two-out, two-run Home Run (13) to left scored Dontrelle Willis. Dave Sappelt due up.
Cubs 3, Reds 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 12 7:48 PM
- Juan Francisco one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Paul Janish due up.
Cubs 3, Reds 1 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 12 7:44 PM
- Geovany Soto grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Jeff Baker with two out. Marlon Byrd out at second. Alfonso Soriano advances to third. Runners on first and third and Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 3, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 12 7:23 PM
- Alfonso Soriano single to left scored Reed Johnson with none out. On the play, Jeff Baker advances to second and Aramis Ramirez advances to third. Bases loaded and Marlon Byrd due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 12 7:21 PM
- Aramis Ramirez double to left scored Starlin Castro with none out. On the play, Reed Johnson advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jeff Baker due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 12 7:16 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 12 7:11 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21