Boston's Ortiz comes through in pinch to open DHMay 29, 2011 - 10:32 PM
Ortiz improved his hitting record against Detroit's closer Jose Valverde (2-2), to 2-for-2 with two home runs and gave the Red Sox their fifth straight victory.
"I know he has a good fastball and a good splitter," Ortiz said of Valverde. "It's not like you have a lot of options when you come off the bench to pinch- hit. You just have to look for a good pitch and he gave it to me."
Mike Cameron and Dustin Pedroia each had solo shots, while Matt Albers (1-2) got the win with hitless seventh and eighth innings. Jonathan Papelbon recorded his 10th save of the season, retiring all three batters in the ninth.
Andy Dirks and Brennan Boesch collected home runs for Detroit, which has dropped eight of its last 11.
"We played a team who's playing good ball right now, but we're a good ballclub too," Dirks said. "We're getting together slowly and that's how baseball goes. It goes in swings and we have keep battling and fighting to get some wins."
The double-dip was made necessary when Saturday's contest was postponed by rain. For the Tigers, it marked the fourth time in nine scheduled home tilts that a game had been postponed.
Trailing 3-1 in the sixth, Boesch lifted the ball over the right field fence to make it a one-run game. Miguel Cabrera then doubled down the third base line and touched home on Jhonny Peralta's bloop single into center to knot the score at three.
David Purcey, who was acquired from the A's on Friday, made his first appearance in the Tigers uniform and tossed a 1-2-3 seventh.
But after Joaquin Benoit pitched a scoreless eighth, Valverde served Ortiz's home run that sailed into the deep right-center bleachers.
Boston scored a run in each of the first three innings. Adrian Gonzalez's sacrifice fly plated Jacoby Ellsbury for the opening score in the first, Cameron homered in the second and Pedroia drove a shot over the left field fence in the third.
Dirks' second career home run that landed in the right field seats put the Tigers on the board in the fourth.
One of Detroit's top prospects, Andrew Oliver, finished with a quality start, but got the no decision. He went six innings, allowing three runs on five hits with three strikeouts.
Oliver's Boston counterpart, Clay Buchholz, also went six innings and allowed three runs on six hits with three strikeouts.
The Red Sox placed reliever Franklin Morales on the 15-day disabled list with a left forearm strain before the game, retroactive to May 26. To fill the roster spot, the Red Sox recalled pitcher Michael Bowden from Triple-A Pawtucket...Buchholz pushed his unbeaten streak to seven starts...Boston has won seven straight against the Tigers and 18 of the last 23.
- BOSTON: 4
May 29 4:25 PM
- Pinch-Hitter David Ortiz one-out, solo Home Run (11) to center. Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 4, Tigers 3 Top 9, 1 OutMay 29 4:11 PM
- David Purcey starts the inning for the Tigers.
Red Sox 3, Tigers 3 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 29 3:21 PM
- Brennan Boesch one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Miguel Cabrera due up.
Red Sox 3, Tigers 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 29 3:13 PM
- Andy Dirks lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Brennan Boesch due up.
Red Sox 3, Tigers 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 29 2:29 PM
- Dustin Pedroia lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 3, Tigers 0 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 29 1:57 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia flied out to center. None on with two outs and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 2, Tigers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 29 1:41 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez sacrifice fly to center scored Jacoby Ellsbury with one out. Runner on second with one out and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 1, Tigers 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 29 1:17 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 29 1:08 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22