Markakis lifts Orioles over TigersAug 15, 2011 - 12:06 AM
Nolan Reimold doubled twice and scored three runs, and Vladimir Guerrero knocked in a pair of runs for Baltimore, which picked up just its second win in eight tries.
Jo-Jo Reyes (6-9) earned the win after holding the Tigers to one run on four hits in six innings. It was his first victory in two appearances since the Orioles claimed him off waivers from Toronto on August 2.
"It was good to see him pitch well," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter.
Ramon Santiago had a solo homer and two runs batted in, and Austin Jackson had three hits and an RBI for Detroit, which had a three-game winning streak snapped.
Doug Fister (4-13) was pegged with the loss after giving up eight runs -- six earned -- on 12 hits in 5 2/3 innings. He fell to 1-1 since being acquired from Seattle in a trade last month.
"I go out there expecting to put up zeros every inning and battle every pitch," Fister said. "It's the same mind set."
Baltimore jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first. Reimold hit a leadoff single and Markakis followed with a homer to right.
The Orioles added one more in the second. Chris Davis singled, moved to second on Craig Tatum's single and scored when Robert Andino punched a base hit through the hole at short.
The Tigers came back with a run of their own in the third when Santiago led off the frame by blasting a 3-2 offering over the wall in left.
The O's added three more in the fifth and two in the sixth. In the fifth, Reimold doubled and scored two batters later when Markakis singled to left. Markakis then beat a throw to third on an Adam Jones base hit. Jones took second on the throw before both Markakis and Jones scored on Guerrero's single.
A pair of run-scoring singles from Markakis and Jones in the sixth made it 8-1.
Kevin Gregg struggled in the ninth, surrendering three runs and recording no outs. After loading the bases on three consecutive singles by Victor Martinez, Jhonny Peralta and Ryan Raburn, Gregg issued back-to-back walks to Alex Avila and Santiago. Jackson followed with a single, plating Rayburn and chasing Gregg from the game.
Jim Johnson came on next and retired the first two batters he faced, the second being an RBI groundout by Magglio Ordonez. Johnson intentionally walked Miguel Cabrera to put the game-tying runs on the bases, but Reimold made a running catch on a liner to left by pinch-hitter Brennan Boesch to end the game and give Johnson his second save of the year.
Markakis has recorded one hit in 178 consecutive series, a major league- best...Baltimore has been outscored 87-40 in the first inning this season...Guerrero is one hit shy of tying Roger Conner for 89th on the all- time hit list...Detroit placed second baseman Carlos Guillen on the 15-day disabled list and recalled second baseman Will Rhymes from Triple-A Toledo Sunday.
- DETROIT: 5
Aug 14 4:17 PM
- Miguel Cabrera intentionally walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Will Rhymes due up.
Tigers 5, Orioles 8 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 14 4:14 PM
- Austin Jackson single to left scored Ryan Raburn. On the play, Ramon Santiago advances to second and Alex Avila advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Andy Dirks due up.
Tigers 4, Orioles 8 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 14 4:10 PM
- Ramon Santiago's walk scored Jhonny Peralta. Bases loaded with none out and Austin Jackson due up.
Tigers 3, Orioles 8 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 14 4:07 PM
- Alex Avila's walk scored Will Rhymes. Bases loaded with none out and Ramon Santiago due up.
Tigers 2, Orioles 8 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 14 4:06 PM
- Adam Jones single to right scored Nolan Reimold. On the play, Nick Markakis advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Tigers 1, Orioles 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 14 3:22 PM
- Nick Markakis single to right scored Craig Tatum. On the play, Nolan Reimold advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Tigers 1, Orioles 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 14 3:17 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero single to left scored Nick Markakis and Adam Jones. Runner on first with one out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Tigers 1, Orioles 6 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 14 2:59 PM
- Nick Markakis single to left scored Nolan Reimold. Runner on first with one out and Adam Jones due up.
Tigers 1, Orioles 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 14 2:56 PM
- Ramon Santiago lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Austin Jackson due up.
Tigers 1, Orioles 3 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 14 2:17 PM
- Robert Andino single to left scored Chris Davis. On the play, Craig Tatum advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Nolan Reimold due up.
Tigers 0, Orioles 3 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 14 2:11 PM
- Nick Markakis one-out, two-run Home Run (12) to right scored Nolan Reimold. Adam Jones due up.
Tigers 0, Orioles 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 14 1:48 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 14 1:37 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22