Reds score six in 11th to dump PadresApr 13, 2011 - 7:18 AM
Stubbs finished with four RBI while Jonny Gomes went 2-for-4 with a run scored and one driven in for the Reds, who won the first two meetings in this three- game series and improved to 8-3 on the season.
Logan Ondrusek (2-0) stranded the bases loaded in both the ninth and 10th innings to get the win.
Alberto Gonzalez had an RBI triple for the Padres, who have lost five of six.
Cory Luebke (0-1) retired the first two hitters of the 11th before Gomes got the rally started with a single to right. Ryan Hanigan followed with a double down the left-field line, and Gomes scored standing up for a 3-2 lead.
The floodgates opened after Jay Bruce worked a walk. Chris Heisey hit a pinch- hit single to plate Hanigan, and Edgar Renteria knocked in Bruce with a dribbler up the middle.
Stubbs made it a six-run game with his homer to straightaway center, and Francisco Cordero closed it out in the bottom half.
Cincy's Sam LeCure was sensational in his six-inning start, allowing just one hit and two walks while recording a career-high eight strikeouts.
Clayton Richard lasted 7 2/3 innings for San Diego, getting charged with five hits, two walks and two runs. One of the runs was unearned, but it came as a result of his throwing error.
San Diego had one hit leading up to the eighth, but Nick Masset gave up a single to Nick Hundley and double to Cameron Maybin to start the inning.
Gonzalez struck out before pinch-hitter Eric Patterson plated Hundley with a groundout to second. The Padres nearly went ahead on Will Venable's slow- roller up the middle, but Brandon Phillips made a barehanded stab and threw off his back foot to get the speedster by a step.
Bruce ran down Maybin's liner into the right-field gap to leave the bases full in the ninth, and Gomes made a leaping grab in left to strand three in the 10th.
"We didn't get the hit when we needed to and they did," Padres manager Bud Black said simply.
With two on and two outs in the first inning, Gomes took an inside-out swing and doubled down the right-field line to plate Phillips.
The Padres tied it in the second, though they could have had more if not for a terrific play by Scott Rolen. Gonzalez drove one into the right-field corner to plate Hundley from first. Gonzalez raced around for a triple, then tried to score when the relay throw got away from Rolen. But Rolen made a nice recovery and threw a perfect strike from his knees to get Gonzalez at the plate.
Cincinnati regained the lead in the fifth, which Bruce began with a base hit. Paul Janish followed with a bouncer back to the mound, and Richard's throw to second was well wide, leaving runners on first and second.
LeCure's bunt moved both runners up 90 feet, and Stubbs chased home the go- ahead run with a sacrifice fly.
LeCure retired the last 12 batters he faced...The Padres went 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position, stranding nine...Cincinnati will go for the sweep Wednesday with Travis Wood pitching against Tim Stauffer.
- CINCINNATI: 8
SAN DIEGO: 2
Apr 13 1:27 AM
- Drew Stubbs two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to center scored Chris Heisey and Edgar Renteria. Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 8, Padres 2 Top 11, 2 OutsApr 13 1:18 AM
- Edgar Renteria single to center scored Jay Bruce with two outs. Runners on first and second and Drew Stubbs due up.
Reds 5, Padres 2 Top 11, 2 OutsApr 13 1:18 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Heisey single to right scored Ryan Hanigan with two outs. Runners on first and second and Edgar Renteria due up.
Reds 4, Padres 2 Top 11, 2 OutsApr 13 1:15 AM
- Ryan Hanigan double to left scored Jonny Gomes with two outs. Runner on second and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 3, Padres 2 Top 11, 2 OutsApr 13 1:11 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Eric Patterson ground out second to first scored Nick Hundley with two outs. Runner on third and Will Venable due up.
Reds 2, Padres 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 13 12:13 AM
- Drew Stubbs ground out second to first scored Jay Bruce with two outs. Runner on third and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 2, Padres 1 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 12 11:12 PM
- Alberto Gonzalez triple to right scored Nick Hundley with two outs. On the play, Gonzalez thrown out at home, third to catcher to end the inning.
Reds 1, Padres 1 End 2Apr 12 10:40 PM
- Jonny Gomes double to right scored Brandon Phillips with two outs. Runners on second and third and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 12 10:13 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 12 10:07 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22