Correia pitches Pirates to series win in CincinnatiApr 19, 2011 - 3:15 AM
Andrew McCutchen and Steve Pearce each knocked in a pair of runs for Pittsburgh, which took three of the four games in the series.
Correia (3-1) allowed three runs -- two earned -- on four hits, walked two and struck out five. The 30-year-old righty threw 109 pitches -- 73 for strikes and improved to 7-1 in 14 career games, including nine starts against Cincinnati.
"It's hard to go out there and throw a lot of offspeed pitches and get behind guys when you have that big of a lead," Correia said. "I threw a lot of two- seamed fastballs early and got people out."
Chris Heisey hit a two-run homer in the ninth for the Reds, who have dropped four of their last five.
Travis Wood (1-2) was roughed up for six runs on eight hits in 3 1/3 innings. The left-hander walked one and struck out three.
Run-scoring singles by Neil Walker, Pearce and Chris Snyder in the first gave the Pirates an early 3-0 lead.
"I didn't feel I was missing too much that first inning," Wood said. "They were hitting some good pitches, got a couple broken bat hits, just fighting them off and at times that I did miss I paid for it."
Cincinnati got one back in the second when Scott Rolen led off with a ground- rule double, went to third on a passed ball and scored on third baseman Pearce's errant throw to first.
The Pirates blew the game open with a five-run fourth. Snyder and Ronny Cedeno hit back-to-back singles to get the inning started and each moved up a base on a bunt by Correia before both came in on McCutchen's double to left.
Jordan Smith replaced Wood and struck out the first batter he faced, then surrendered an RBI single to Diaz, walked Walker and Pearce's base hit chased in another. Lyle Overbay's run-scoring double made it an 8-1 game.
Diaz was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the fifth to force in a run.
Correia stayed on for the ninth and gave up a leadoff single to pinch-hitter Ramon Hernandez before Heisey hit a two-run shot to left with two away. Miguel Cairo grounded out to third to end the game.
Earlier on Monday, the Reds placed third baseman Juan Francisco on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left calf, transferred right-handed reliever Jared Burton from the 15-day to the 60-day DL and called up outfielder Jeremy Hermida from its Triple-A affiliate in Louisville...Cincinnati starting second baseman Brandon Phillips missed his fourth straight game due to a strained groin and is listed as day-to-day...The Reds won 10 of 16 versus the Pirates last year, including five of seven at Cincinnati.
- PITTSBURGH: 9
Apr 18 10:12 PM
- Matt Diaz hit-by-pitch Ronny Cedeno scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 9, Reds 1 Top 5, 1 OutApr 18 9:03 PM
- Lyle Overbay double to left scored Neil Walker with two outs. Runners on second and third and Chris Snyder due up.
Pirates 8, Reds 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 18 8:44 PM
- Steve Pearce single to left scored Matt Diaz with two outs. Runners on first and second and Lyle Overbay due up.
Pirates 7, Reds 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 18 8:42 PM
- Neil Walker walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Steve Pearce due up.
Pirates 6, Reds 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 18 8:39 PM
- Andrew McCutchen double to left scored Chris Snyder and Ronny Cedeno with one out. Runner on second and Jose Tabata due up.
Pirates 5, Reds 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 18 8:29 PM
- Jonny Gomes reached first on Steve Pearce's throwing error. Scored Scott Rolen. Runner on first with none out and Jay Bruce due up.
Pirates 3, Reds 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 18 7:52 PM
- Chris Snyder single to center scored Neil Walker with two outs. Runners on first and second and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Pirates 3, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 18 7:26 PM
- Steve Pearce single to left scored Matt Diaz with one out. Runners on first and second and Lyle Overbay due up.
Pirates 2, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 18 7:20 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 18 7:09 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21