Marlins hold off RedsApr 30, 2011 - 6:30 AM
Javier Vazquez (2-2) earned the win, pitching six innings and allowing four runs on four hits and three walks while fanning three to give the Marlins their eighth win in their last 10 games.
Travis Wood (1-3) took the loss after lasting only 3 1/3 innings, surrendering seven runs on eight hits and two walks, while striking out three as Cincinnati lost for the 10th time in its last 15 games.
"I was missing spots and they were hitting them," said Wood.
Leo Nunez entered the game in relief for Florida in the ninth, and got Miguel Cairo to fly out before allowing back-to-back doubles to Ramon Hernandez and Paul Janish. Nunez then got pinch-hitter Chris Heisy to strike out before Drew Stubbs hit an RBI single to make it a one-run game.
Stubbs stole second to put the tying run in scoring position, but Jay Bruce struck out looking with reigning MVP Joey Votto waiting on deck, giving Nunez his eighth save of the year.
"With Votto looming, I was happy to get out when we did," said the catcher Buck.
Emilio Bonifacio hit the second pitch of the game over Bruce's head in right field for a triple and scored on Omar Infante's sacrifice fly. Ramirez followed with a double, and Gaby Sanchez walked before being brought home by Buck's home run to right. Vazquez later hit a single that plated Wes Helms after Helms singled and advanced on a walk by Scott Cousins to give the Marlins an early five-run advantage.
The Reds got one of those runs back in the bottom of the first on Bruce's shot to center field.
Vazquez led off the fourth with a single and Bonifacio followed with a double to put men on second and third with no outs. Infante then lined out to left field and Wood was pulled from the game. Carlos Fisher entered in relief, but allowed a single to Ramirez that brought home Vazquez and Bonifacio to give Florida a 7-1 lead.
Jeremy Hermida hit a three-run homer in the bottom half of the fourth -- his first hit as a Red.
Wood threw 46 pitches in the first inning...Hermida was 0-for-13 before his home run in the fourth...Florida is off to its best start through 24 games in franchise history with 16 wins in April...Votto has reached base safely in all 26 games this season.
- FLORIDA: 7
Apr 29 10:12 PM
- Drew Stubbs single to left scored Paul Janish with two out. Runner on first and Jay Bruce due up.
Marlins 7, Reds 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 29 10:09 PM
- Paul Janish double to left scored Ramon Hernandez with one out. Runner on second and Bill Bray due up.
Marlins 7, Reds 5 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 29 10:02 PM
- Jeremy Hermida one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Jay Bruce and Joey Votto. Miguel Cairo due up.
Marlins 7, Reds 4 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 29 8:35 PM
- Hanley Ramirez single to center scored Javier Vazquez and Emilio Bonifacio with one out. Runner on first and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Marlins 7, Reds 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 29 8:24 PM
- Jay Bruce one-out, solo Home Run (4) to center. Joey Votto due up.
Marlins 5, Reds 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 29 7:36 PM
- Javier Vazquez single to center scored Wes Helms with two out. Runners on first and third with Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Marlins 5, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 29 7:30 PM
- John Buck two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to right scored Hanley Ramirez and Gaby Sanchez. Wes Helms due up.
Marlins 4, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 29 7:22 PM
- Omar Infante sacrifice fly to center scored Emilio Bonifacio with one out. None on and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 29 7:14 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 29 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21