Walker helps Pirates down RedsMay 19, 2011 - 9:47 PM
Ryan Doumit hit a solo homer and Andrew McCutchen added an RBI double for the Pirates, who had dropped six straight entering the series.
James McDonald (3-3) worked 6 2/3 solid innings, yielding one run on seven hits. The right-hander struck out four and walked one. Joel Hanrahan allowed a solo homer to Jay Bruce leading off the ninth inning, but was able to recover and lock down the win to record his 12th save of the season.
Bruce had two solo homers and Joey Votto had an RBI single for Cincinnati, which had won five in a row coming into the set.
"The Pirates have given us a tough time so far this year," Bruce said.
Johnny Cueto (2-1) surrendered three runs on five hits with three walks and five strikeouts in a five-inning start.
Bruce's lead-off homer to center in the second gave the Reds the lead, but Pittsburgh put three on the board in the fifth.
"The first inning was kind of slow. I think the Bruce home run kind of woke me up a little bit," McDonald said.
McCutchen reached with a two-out double and crossed the plate on Xavier Paul's base hit to right. After Garrett Jones walked, Walker hit a two-run double off the center-field wall to make it a 3-1 game.
Cueto, making only his third start of the season after beginning the year on the disabled list, allowed his first earned runs in 18 1/3 innings.
Doumit clubbed a shot into the left-field seats leading off the sixth.
The Reds stranded a pair of runners in the seventh and the Bucs tacked on one more in the eighth on McCutchen's double down the left-field line.
Votto's RBI single in the eighth drew Cincinnati to within 5-2.
Hanrahan came on for the bottom of the ninth and yielded a lead-off homer to Bruce. The right-hander settled down to retire the next three batters to end the game.
Pittsburgh took three of four from the Reds earlier in the season...Despite taking the loss, Cueto is still 9-3 in 14 career games against the Pirates...McDonald improved to 2-1 in five lifetime appearances versus the Reds.
- PITTSBURGH: 5
May 19 3:41 PM
- Jay Bruce lead off Home Run 2 (10) to left. Miguel Cairo due up.
Pirates 5, Reds 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsMay 19 3:36 PM
- Joey Votto singled to center scored Chris Heisey. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Phillips due up.
Pirates 5, Reds 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 19 3:22 PM
- Andrew McCutchen doubled to left scored Pedro Alvarez. On the play, Ronny Cedeno advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Xavier Paul due up.
Pirates 5, Reds 1 Top 8, 1 OutMay 19 3:04 PM
- Ryan Doumit lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 4, Reds 1 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 19 2:17 PM
- Neil Walker doubled to center scored Xavier Paul and Garrett Jones. Runner on second with two outs and Lyle Overbay due up.
Pirates 3, Reds 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 19 2:00 PM
- Xavier Paul singled to right scored Andrew McCutchen. Runner on second with two outs and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 1, Reds 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 19 1:55 PM
- Jay Bruce lead-off Home Run (9) to right center. Miguel Cairo due up.
Pirates 0, Reds 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 19 1:17 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 19 12:37 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21