Leake leads Reds to rout of GiantsJun 12, 2011 - 12:23 AM
Leake (6-2) allowed four hits, while registering a career-high eight strikeouts and administering just one walk. He went 2-for-4 at the plate, which included a double.
Brandon Phillips scored twice and added two RBI, while Joey Votto went 3-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored.
Leake bested Tim Lincecum (5-5), who yielded seven runs over four-plus innings, tying a career-worst for runs allowed in a start.
The Giants, who earned a 3-2 walkoff victory on Friday, received a two-run homer from Pat Burrell in their final at bat.
After a scoreless first, the Reds hit their stride.
Jay Bruce led off the second inning with a single, stole second and advanced to third on a wild pitch. After Fred Lewis drew a one-out walk, Ryan Hanigan singled up the middle to plate Bruce. With runners at first and second, Cincinnati appeared poised for more, but rookie shortstop Brandon Crawford made a wily play on a Paul Janish grounder, snaring the ball as it rolled up the middle and stepping on second before nailing Janish at first to end the inning.
Undaunted, Cincinnati kept the pressure on Lincecum in the third, loading the bases with one down before a Bruce groundout scored Drew Stubbs and Phillips crossed the plate courtesy of another wild pitch from the Giants hurler.
Lincecum reached his breaking point in the fifth, as Leake led off the frame with a single and Stubbs followed with a walk. Both baserunners scored on a Phillips double, giving the Reds a 5-0 lead.
Not to be outdone, Votto ripped of double of his own to score Phillips and chase Lincecum from the game. Guillermo Mota entered and induced Bruce into a groundout before surrendering a sac fly to Scott Rolen.
The Reds added one in the seventh, courtesy of a two-out RBI double from Janish and took advantage of two bases-loaded walks by Javier Lopez in the ninth to pile on two more.
Burrell's sixth home run of the season also plated Andres Torres for the final margin.
The Reds remain the only national league team that has never lost to Lincecum...The Giants placed infielder Freddy Sanchez on the 15-day disabled list Saturday and signed free agent Bill Hall to a major league contract...Despite the offensive outburst, the Reds haven't homered in four games, their longest such drought of the season.
- CINCINNATI: 10
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Jun 11 7:29 PM
- Eli Whiteside singled to short. Runner on first with one out and Bill Hall due up.
Reds 10, Giants 2 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 11 7:25 PM
- Drew Stubbs walked. Ryan Hanigan scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 10, Giants 0 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 11 7:12 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jonny Gomes walked. Miguel Cairo scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Drew Stubbs due up.
Reds 9, Giants 0 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 11 7:09 PM
- Paul Janish doubled to center scored Ryan Hanigan. Runner on second with two outs and Mike Leake due up.
Reds 8, Giants 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 11 6:35 PM
- Scott Rolen sacrifice fly out to left scored Joey Votto. None on with two outs and Fred Lewis due up.
Reds 7, Giants 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 11 5:39 PM
- Joey Votto doubled to left scored Brandon Phillips. Runner on second with none out and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 6, Giants 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 11 5:33 PM
- Brandon Phillips doubled to left scored Mike Leake and Drew Stubbs. Runner on second with none out and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 5, Giants 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 11 5:31 PM
- Joey Votto advances to third on a wild pitch. Brandon Phillips scored on a wild pitch. Runner on third with two outs and Scott Rolen at the plate.
Reds 3, Giants 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 11 5:01 PM
- Jay Bruce grounded out to first scored Drew Stubbs. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second and Brandon Phillips advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Scott Rolen due up.
Reds 2, Giants 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 11 5:00 PM
- Ryan Hanigan singled to center scored Jay Bruce. On the play, Fred Lewis advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Paul Janish due up.
Reds 1, Giants 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 11 4:35 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 11 4:13 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21