Orioles hit 3 HRs, top Reds to win seriesJun 27, 2011 - 1:01 AM
Derrek Lee blasted a three-run homer, while Mark Reynolds and Luke Scott added solo shots for the Orioles, who had lost three of their previous four games.
Nick Markakis chipped in with three hits for Baltimore.
Jeremy Guthrie (3-9) worked 5 2/3 innings to pick up the win for Baltimore, giving up four runs on six hits while fanning five and walking four.
Brandon Phillips and Ramon Hernandez hit solo home runs for the Reds, who have lost six of their last nine.
Homer Bailey (3-2) came off the disabled list after a month and worked five innings in defeat for the Reds, giving up five runs on nine hits while striking out five and walking a pair of batters.
The fourth inning began ominously for Cincinnati when Adam Jones led off with a routine pop-up in the infield, but no Reds could find the ball in the air. It landed fair for a single.
Vladimir Guerrero followed by ripping a 3-1 mistake into left for a single to give Baltimore runners on the corners with no outs. Lee then blasted an up- and-in fastball from Bailey into the left field seats for his sixth home run of the year. Reynolds kept the inning going for the Orioles by smacking a pitch over the left field wall for his 14th homer of the year and a 5-0 lead.
"It was either a changeup or a splitter that he left out over the plate," Reynolds said. "I was a little out in front of it, but I was able to get enough of it."
Cincinnati got on the board in the fifth on Phillips' solo blast to left- center, his sixth home run of the season.
The Reds then picked up three more runs in the sixth. Miguel Cairo smacked a one-out double and scored on a single by Chris Heisey. Walks to Phillips and Joey Votto loaded the bases with two down and Orioles reliever Jim Johnson walked in two runs to pull the Reds within 5-4. Johnson recovered to induce a ground out from Drew Stubbs to preserve the lead for Baltimore.
Baltimore added a run in the sixth when Blake Davis walked, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt, moved to third on a wild pitch by Reds reliever Jose Arredondo and scored on an RBI single by Markakis.
The Orioles tacked on a seventh run in the seventh on Scott's long homer over the wall in right off Reds' flame-thrower Aroldis Chapman, his ninth of the season.
Cincinnati got a run back in the ninth on Hernandez's home run to left, his eighth of the season. The homer came off Kevin Gregg, who recorded his 14th save of the season.
Earlier, the Orioles opened the scoring in the third. Davis ripped a single to center and Craig Tatum walked to put runners on first and second with one out. After a J.J. Hardy pop-out to second, Markakis came through with an RBI single to left to give the Orioles a 1-0 lead.
Bailey had been out with a sprained right shoulder. He was activated before the game and pitcher Carlos Fisher was sent to Triple-A Louisville...The Reds are 3-9 against American League opponents this season while Baltimore is 6-6 against the National League...Markakis extended his hitting streak to 16 games...Hardy has homered in eight consecutive series.
- CINCINNATI: 5
Jun 26 4:48 PM
- Ramon Hernandez lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Miguel Cairo due up.
Reds 5, Orioles 7 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 26 4:42 PM
- Luke Scott two-out, solo Home Run (9) to right center. Mark Reynolds due up.
Reds 4, Orioles 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 26 4:19 PM
- Nick Markakis singled to right scoring Blake Davis. Runner on first with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Reds 4, Orioles 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 26 3:55 PM
- Jose Arredondo starts the inning for the Reds.
Reds 4, Orioles 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 26 3:46 PM
- Jonny Gomes walk scored Chris Heisey. Bases loaded with two outs and Fred Lewis due up.
Reds 3, Orioles 5 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 26 3:40 PM
- Chris Heisey singled to right scoring Miguel Cairo. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 2, Orioles 5 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 26 3:28 PM
- Brandon Phillips one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left center. Joey Votto due up.
Reds 1, Orioles 5 Top 5, 1 OutJun 26 3:02 PM
- Mark Reynolds one-out, solo Home Run (14) to left center. Blake Davis due up.
Reds 0, Orioles 5 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 26 2:52 PM
- Derrek Lee none-out, three-run Home Run (6) to left scored Adam Jones and Vladimir Guerrero. Luke Scott due up.
Reds 0, Orioles 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 26 2:47 PM
- Nick Markakis singled to left scoring Blake Davis. On the play, Craig Tatum was tagged out at third, left to third to short to end the inning.
Reds 0, Orioles 1 End 3Jun 26 2:33 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 26 1:37 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21