Pelfrey goes distance, Mets rout RedsJul 28, 2011 - 3:03 AM
Pelfrey (6-9) surrendered two runs on seven hits to record his second complete game of the season.
"That's as good as I've seen him," Mets first baseman Daniel Murphy said of Pelfrey. "When he's throwing the ball like that, that's fun to play behind."
Beltran was not in the lineup and reports indicate that he has been traded to the Giants, but New York, which will seek a four-game sweep on Thursday, appeared galvanized. David Wright belted a three-run homer, Lucas Duda added a solo shot, Angel Pagan had two RBI and Murphy went 4-for-5 with a pair of doubles.
Bronson Arroyo (7-9) was saddled with the loss after allowing five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits and three walks over six innings.
Joey Votto hit his second home run in as many nights and Jay Bruce had a triple for the Reds.
Despite the absence of Beltran, the Mets' bats were alive early as they pushed two across in the top of the first.
Jose Reyes and Wright singled around a Willie Harris strikeout and a Murphy flyout. They advanced on a passed ball and crossed the plate on Pagan's double down the right field line.
"They got a big two-out hit from Pagan and we didn't get a whole lot going," said Reds manager Dusty Baker.
Votto belted an opposite field solo shot in the fourth to put the Reds on the board.
A half-inning later, with Harris and Reyes on first and third, respectively, Murphy ripped a sinking liner to right. Bruce charged and dove, but the ball went under his glove, allowing Reyes to score and Murphy to reach second. Wright's subsequent sac fly plated Harris.
Duda padded the Mets' lead with a leadoff shot in the sixth and Wright added a three-run blast an inning later to put the game away.
Bruce tripled and scored on Chris Heisey's sac fly in the home half, but the run proved moot.
"We obviously traded one of our best players," said Wright. "But there are still games to be played and there's still games where we need to go out there and play well to win. We were able to do that tonight."
Prior to the game, the Mets reportedly dealt Beltran and cash considerations to the Giants in exchange for pitching prospect Zack Wheeler. The deal is pending approval from both Beltran and major league baseball...The Mets are 31-25 on the road this season. They won a total of 32 road games in 2010...Reyes has scored at least one run in nine straight games. The Mets are 35-21 this season when Reyes scores a run...Wright is 12-for-28 with two home runs and 11 RBI since returning from the DL on Friday...The Reds were 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position.
- NEW YORK: 8
Jul 27 9:50 PM
- Chris Heisey sacrifice fly out to right scored Jay Bruce. None on with two outs and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Mets 8, Reds 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 27 9:18 PM
- Angel Pagan grounded out first to pitcher. None on with one out and Jason Bay due up.
Mets 8, Reds 1 Top 7, 1 OutJul 27 9:07 PM
- Lucas Duda lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Ronny Paulino due up.
Mets 5, Reds 1 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 27 8:44 PM
- David Wright sacrifice fly out to right scored Willie Harris. Runner on second with two outs and Angel Pagan due up.
Mets 4, Reds 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 27 8:29 PM
- Daniel Murphy doubled to off right to center scoring Jose Reyes. On the play, Willie Harris advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and David Wright due up.
Mets 3, Reds 1 Top 5, 1 OutJul 27 8:28 PM
- Brandon Phillips struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Jay Bruce due up.
Mets 2, Reds 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 27 8:12 PM
- Angel Pagan doubled to right scoring Jose Reyes and David Wright. Runner on second with two outs and Jason Bay due up.
Mets 2, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 27 7:21 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 7:10 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21