Padres top Reds to salvage seriesAug 14, 2011 - 9:23 PM
Orlando Hudson had an RBI triple while Jason Bartlett added two hits and an RBI for San Diego, which has won three of its last five.
Wade LeBlanc (1-2) picked up his first win of the season after holding the Reds to three runs on two hits in six frames.
Jay Bruce belted a three-run homer for the Reds, who had a four-game winning streak snapped.
Dontrelle Willis (0-3) took the loss after giving up four runs in 2 2/3 innings. Willis left the game in the third after experiencing forearm soreness in his left pitching arm and will be evaluated on Monday.
The Padres took a 4-0 lead in the in the third. Willis threw a wild pitch with the bases loaded that allowed a run to score. Another run crossed the plate on Kyle Blanks' groundout before Forsythe and Darnell each hit RBI- singles to give San Diego the early lead.
The Reds came back in the fourth with three runs. Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips each walked before Bruce launched his 26th homer of the season.
San Diego added a run in the seventh, eighth and ninth inning. In the seventh pinch hitter Alberto Gonzalez walked then scored when Hudson tripled to right.
Aaron Cunningham was hit by a pitch to open the eighth, moved to second on a ground out and scored when Darnell singled to left.
Bartlett capped the ninth with an RBI-single to left-center, knocking in Cameron Maybin
The Reds had an opportunity to tie the game in the home half of the eighth. With runners on first and second Votto launched a towering fly ball to center but it was caught on the warning track. Phillips then worked a full-count but flew out to right-center.
Hudson went 10-for-29 with 11 runs during the Padres' 10-game road trip...San Diego is 27-17 in day games this season...Bruce went 11-for-25 with five home runs and 15 RBI during the Reds' seven-game homestand...Ardolis Chapman had 12 scoreless appearances before surrendering a run in the ninth inning.
- SAN DIEGO: 7
Aug 14 4:18 PM
- Jason Bartlett single to left scored Cameron Maybin with none out. Runner on first and Orlando Hudson due up.
Padres 7, Reds 3 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 14 4:04 PM
- James Darnell stole second. Runner on second with one out and Rob Johnson at the plate.
Padres 6, Reds 3 Top 8, 1 OutAug 14 3:39 PM
- Orlando Hudson triple to right scored Jason Bartlett with two out. Runner on third and Kyle Blanks due up.
Padres 5, Reds 3 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 14 3:17 PM
- Jay Bruce none-out, three-run Home Run (26) to right center scored Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips. Drew Stubbs due up.
Padres 4, Reds 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 14 2:28 PM
- Sam LeCure enters the game for the Reds with runners on first and third and with two out.
Padres 4, Reds 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 14 2:07 PM
- Logan Forsythe single to left scored Orlando Hudson with two out. On the play, Aaron Cunningham advances to second. Runners on first and second and James Darnell due up.
Padres 3, Reds 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 14 2:02 PM
- Kyle Blanks ground out third to first scored Cameron Maybin with two out. Runner on second and Aaron Cunningham due up.
Padres 2, Reds 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 14 1:57 PM
- Wade LeBlanc scored on a wild pitch with one out. Orlando Hudson advances to second on a wild pitch. Cameron Maybin advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third and Kyle Blanks at the plate.
Padres 1, Reds 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 14 1:57 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 14 1:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22